Author Topic: Colouring Valentine Walls Wigan/Hindley 1883 - 1959 anyone?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Prouty99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colouring Valentine Walls Wigan/Hindley 1883 - 1959 anyone?
« on: Sunday 16 December 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks

I am interested in the actual process of colourisation but not an expert in this unfortunately, but I guess this photo was taken at a special occasion so the colouring of suits and flowers would be straightforward guess work rather than a random photo

Hope someone can have a crack at this

Also interested in what package/process would be best to use for colourisation if anyone wants to share their technique

Apologies for the quality of the photo it's the best one out there on the internet unfortunately but I have increased the size the best I could

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colouring Valentine Walls Wigan/Hindley 1883 - 1959 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but are advised not to manipulate photos taken from the internet without the owner's permission.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Prouty99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but are advised not to manipulate photos taken from the internet without the owner's permission.
Carol

Hi Carol, I have already had the discussion with the moderator (Sarah), permission exists and no copyright has been breached.

Apologies for not clarifying this in the initial post

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Here's one I did earlier and have been waiting to post. I use a very old version of Photoshop, I wouldn't think this is available now.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 07:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm bat-eyed when it comes to colours so can't help with that discussion except to say that any of the many software programs that restorers use for their work would be suitable for colourising. I think several people on here use different versions of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and Gimp (a free but very powerful app). Just a word of caution with Gimp. Its interface is not as easy to get used to as some of the others - but those who use it swear by it. There are plenty of review sites comparing the different programs, but really it's like being a carpenter: it's not the brand of tools but how well you learn to use them.

Anyway, here's my try.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Quick small editions

Offline Prouty99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Here's one I did earlier and have been waiting to post. I use a very old version of Photoshop, I wouldn't think this is available now.
Pat

Strange as it may seem I still use paint shop pro 9 for most of the time even though I have elements and photoshop CS. I think it was made by JASC before Corel took over.

Offline Prouty99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm bat-eyed when it comes to colours so can't help with that discussion except to say that any of the many software programs that restorers use for their work would be suitable for colourising. I think several people on here use different versions of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and Gimp (a free but very powerful app). Just a word of caution with Gimp. Its interface is not as easy to get used to as some of the others - but those who use it swear by it. There are plenty of review sites comparing the different programs, but really it's like being a carpenter: it's not the brand of tools but how well you learn to use them.

Anyway, here's my try.
Peter

Thanks for that Peter, a good interpretation. It's always a guess work with colourisation and always open to opinion.

By the way, I was always under the impression that Gimp was a Linux thing? Is it available in Windows as well?

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Gimp is available across all platforms, Prouty. I downloaded it to my Macbook but rarely use it because I find Elements much easier to use - but that's just me.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.