Author Topic: Betty Beatrix Broadest married Richard Hart 28 April 1753 at Abingdon St Helen  (Read 1291 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have not been able to find any baptism for Betty anywhere in England at the appropriate time nor a reliable one for Richard - I have checked all the baptisms in all the Abingdon churches to no avail.

In the Marriage records on FindMyPast Richard is described as a fisherman and both were from Kingston - no further info in where Kingston was.  They appear to have been married by Special Licence as there is a record of a Sarum Marriage Licence Bond with the Bodnsman as William Austin, victualler of St Helen, Abingdon.  As Richard was a fisherman I'm wondering if the Kingston referred to is Kingston upon Thames or is it Kingston Bagpuize?

Betty and Richard had eight children baptised at Marcham near Abingdon.  The youngest has a second forename of Woodridge but whether this is a clue or not I don't know.

Interestingly their son John who had children baptised at Purley and Tilehurst in Berkshire was variously described as net maker and fishing net maker, an occupation probably picked up from his father.

I did find a Sarah Broadest marrying an Edward Pettifer (Pettefer) at Bampton, Oxforshire which isn't too far from Abingdon/Marcham and having six children baptised there.  As the surname Broadest appears to be quite rare at the time in England and virtually non existent in the Oxfordshire and surrounding counties area I suspect that Betty and Sarah are related, possibly sisters, but haven't been able to find any baptism for Sarah.

I've posted here rather than on the Oxfordshire board as I've no idea where Betty or Richard were born.

Can anyone find anything I've missed please?

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Betty Beatrix Broadest married Richard Hart 28 April 1753 at Abingdon St Helen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

There is a Kingston upon Hull and an Abingdon Garth not far from it.

craggagh.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Betty Beatrix Broadest married Richard Hart 28 April 1753 at Abingdon St Helen
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

There is a Kingston upon Hull and an Abingdon Garth not far from it.

craggagh.

As Abingdon Garth is on the Bransholme Estate in Hull which was built in the 1960s-70s I doubt that there would be a connection
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies, I think Betty is going to remain a mystery, strange though as her surname is unusual and not too many about.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I think your Kingston is most likely to be Kingston Bagpuize, as it's only about three miles from Marcham.  It's also only a couple of miles from the Thames and its tributary the Windrush. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Burials at Kingston Bagpuize
Thomas Brodis, 25 Nov 1773
Ann Broadrist, 3 Aug 1796

No idea if they are connected to BB, or even to each other. I think possibly a number of variations of this name, Broadus, Broadhurst, etc.
John

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Those are excellent leads to follow up thanks, I suspect I've been too restrictive on the spelling of the surname.

I agree that Kingston Bagpuize is the likely place referred to, I wonder if it was just Kingston in 1753.  I do know that many place names were 'adjusted' when the Ordnance Survey did their first survey of the UK so I'll check that out,