Author Topic: When did Grandad emigrate to Australia?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family, a reverse pyramidal plunge into the past
    • View Profile
When did Grandad emigrate to Australia?
« on: Sunday 16 December 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hoping someone can help. My paternal grandad Charles Robert Fraser died before my birth. Haven't been able to find his emigration details though I remember asking about him as a child and my dad thought he may have come through Fremantle, West Australia, he didn't know when.

He was born in Garty, Kilmuir Easter in Ross-shire 1883. As an apprentice engine fitter he boarded in Aberdeen according to the 1901 census. On his Jan 1st 1949 death certificate his time in NSW was altered from 40 to 47 years. That led me to search for shipping records in 1901/02 (and other following years) with no success.

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

Merry Christmas,
Col  :)
Fraser, Davidson, Gibson, Sutherland (Scot), Thompson/Thomson (E Sussex)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: When did Grandad emigrate to Australia?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
To help narrow it down - What year did he marry your grandmother
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Col, sometimes they are impossible to find. On one of my research lines around the same era I can't find an immigration. I wondered if mine had paid her own passage which may be the reason there is no record of her arrival.

Have you checked for him in NZ? It is not unusual for someone to arrive in Australia then go across to NZ, so maybe it happened the other way round too. A lot of Scots went to NZ.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 18 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

NSW BDM online index has a death registration for a Charles Robert FRASER but it seems that he died 28th January 1949 ( on the website there is an option to drill down to the exact date) and the death was registered in the Auburn district (a suburb of Sydney).

Ryerson Index also has the death as 28 January and in the Sydney Morning Herald of 29th   :) http://ryersonindex.org/index.htm

Here is the SMH notice
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18088347  SMH 29 January 1949  page 38.

You mention that the d.c. has been altered to show he had been in Australia for 47 years...  Is that alteration formally initialled and acknowledged by NSW BDM or has it been altered by a family member during the course of their own earlier family history searches...  If you are looking at an official transcription, has the transcribing service noted the alteration...  :)

Not all ships came via Fremantle for their first port of call in Australia.   Thursday Island was also a first port of call for ships coming via Torres Strait.   And shipping from West Coast of USA was popular even before Federation (1901) and grew also after Panama Canel opened... 1913 ...

Not all passenger lists into Australia are extant.

Most did not need a UK passport to leave the UK until 1914

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
JM, there was one who died 1st Jan.

Sorry, JM, it was FEBRUARY.  ;D

Col, who did he marry and where?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 December 18 00:56 GMT (UK) »
JM, these are the couple mentioned in the notice you provided, at Rookwood:

CHARLES FRASER 0 1-2-1949 Zone D 16 606
LILA FRASER 57 3-3-1950 Zone D 16 606 

Added: Notices for Lila, 1st and 4th columns: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18150400

I see no marriage for this couple, in NSW.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 December 18 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find any other likely chap,  listed at NSW BDM index ...  :-\

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 December 18 01:19 GMT (UK) »
From Rookwood CD:

Anglican Section 16 Row 4 Grave 606
Fraser, Charles R. 26 Jan 1949
Fraser, Lila E 01 Mar 1950

Jamjar

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family, a reverse pyramidal plunge into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 December 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Firstly let me thank you all for your replies Ruskie, CaroleW, majm & Jamjar.

My grandad died on 28th Jan 1949, my error with 1st Jan. On his official death cert is noted the alteration from about 40 yrs to 47 yrs in NSW. He married Eliza Ellen Brown who liked to be known by Lila in 1921 in Chatswood NSW. He knew her from at least 1912 according to an entry in her diary which I have in my possession.

I'm not sure of the entry by Fremantle immigration detail which my dad had only a vague memory of hearing when himself young. am going over to Perth in Jan so perhaps able to search records with guidance. Have been unable to find his emigration/immigration records to date.

Merry Christmas,
Col  :)
Fraser, Davidson, Gibson, Sutherland (Scot), Thompson/Thomson (E Sussex)