Author Topic: When did Grandad emigrate to Australia?  (Read 2976 times)

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family, a reverse pyramidal plunge into the past
    • View Profile
Re: When did Grandad emigrate to Australia?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 December 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, I'll look into it more, visit the archives when over in Perth.

Thanks Jamjar, will check through Ancestry, Find My Past at my local library later today. No reason to suppose that he wouldn't go under Mr C Fraser. The time frame also seems plausible given the alteration from 40 to 47 yrs in NSW on his death cert. I know there are squillions of C Frasers shipping out of the UK, not to mention name variations, especially of initials. Need to find the best fit manifest entry for age, origins etc. which is not always easy to do.

Merry Christmas,
Col  :)
Fraser, Davidson, Gibson, Sutherland (Scot), Thompson/Thomson (E Sussex)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 December 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, I'll look into it more, visit the archives when over in Perth.

Thanks Jamjar, will check through Ancestry, Find My Past at my local library later today. No reason to suppose that he wouldn't go under Mr C Fraser. The time frame also seems plausible given the alteration from 40 to 47 yrs in NSW on his death cert. I know there are squillions of C Frasers shipping out of the UK, not to mention name variations, especially of initials. Need to find the best fit manifest entry for age, origins etc. which is not always easy to do.

Merry Christmas,

Hi Col,

I am somewhat confused by your reply.  I did not suggest you visit the Archives in Perth.  I provided you with the link to the National Archives of Australia's digitised passenger lists that are freely available online. -  No need to leave the comfort of your armchair to scroll through the very same passenger lists that are available via several of the commercial websites. Ancestry worked in partnership with NAA's own holdings on the digitisation project.   

I continue to wonder about the apparent alteration on the death cert ... I had asked earlier about this alteration ... but I am sure that the NAA digitised images will cover the timeframe whether it was 1949 - 40 years or 1949 - 47 years.   It is only significant in that the issuing authority should note the amendments, and if on the real deal certificate, a senior BDM officer is required to inspect and sign off (on the document) ... if on an official transcription, the change/s by that senior officer is required to be noted in the section provided for such endorsements.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/family-history/passenger-arrivals-lists-1897-to-1966/index.aspx

Passenger Arrivals Lists 1897 to 1966
Passenger arrivals now online
Most ships coming to Australia had Fremantle, Western Australia, as their first port of call. During the period 1897 to 1966, over 3.6 million people were identified in 17,000 passenger arrivals lists.

Many of the passenger arrivals lists have been made available for your use by the National Archives via our collection database, RecordSearch. The National Archives and Ancestry have collaborated to offer greater online access to the Fremantle passenger arrivals lists (1897–1966). The Ancestry Index can be accessed either through RecordSearch or Ancestry.

The Ancestry Index was produced as part of this collaboration and is licensed to users of the National Archives' website for the purposes of research and private study only. The Commonwealth Government owns copyright in the remainder of the passenger lists that you will find on RecordSearch. The passenger arrival lists are not subject to the ordinary licensing that applies to other parts of the National Archives’ website as set out in the copyright notice.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/PassengerSearch.aspx

The NAA has fairly extensive passenger lists for those arriving via Fremantle 1898-way into the 1960s

I cannot see him listed, but I have not tried variations on surname or given name/s

JM

Click on that link I provided...
It will bring up a message about it being a timed out link.  Do not panic. 
Read the screen carefully...
Click on the word 'guest'... it will take you to a live link (to recordsearch). 
At that option, read across the menu bar ... is the heading Passenger Lists.  Click on that ... Voila ... there's the access from your armchair ...  :)

Alternatively, go to naa.gov.au and start from there...  but you do NOT need to leave your puter to travel all the way to Perth WA or Perth Scotland just to look up the passenger list...  :D

Happy Christmas, safe travels.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 December 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Could be he arrived as a ‘Mr C’:

Fraser C Mr 24 Nov 1904 Sydney OMRAH out of London

Jamjar

Perhaps this arrival
http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/7974610/1
page 4 of 8,  British, to Sydney.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 December 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
newspaper has the passenger list ... seems the Mr C Fraser passenger on that voyage had two initials ..
C  and S

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14637434 Sydney Morning Herald 25 Nov 1904 ...
click on the above link, it will bring up the cutting.  :)

JM

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family, a reverse pyramidal plunge into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM & again thanks.

Am catching the Indian Pacific to Perth & staying there a week so thought I'd see an archivist while there looking around the city's cultural precinct. They will be able to provide me at a cost with better immigration records than any site. If not, then at least Fremantle can be ruled out in favour of Sydney & I can keep searching.

Have previously checked the link you provided but nothing jumped out at me from the records.With some maternal Scottish rels immigrating to Wallsend NSW I picked them up through Qld immigration records which were very detailed bought cheaply from the Qld archives. Fingers crossed am hoping for a similar windfall when visiting Perth in Jan - still think my dad's memory of his dad's entry to Australia through Fremantle may be on the right track.

The death cert's 40 changed to 47 years in NSW amendment is noted by a registry officer according to the transcript in my possession. Checked recent suggestions re C & C.S. Fraser but not enough info to ID with any certainty. Thanks again.

Merry Christmas,
Fraser, Davidson, Gibson, Sutherland (Scot), Thompson/Thomson (E Sussex)