Author Topic: Raf Service number for William Milne  (Read 170 times)

Offline IanMac67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Raf Service number for William Milne
« on: Sunday 16 December 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my late grandfather's service records from WW2  but unfortunately there's no service number.
What I do know is that he was a leading aircraftman and was a joiner/carpenter to trade and was at one point stationed at Raf Colinsburgh. Any help would be much appreciated.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bertieburrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Raf Service number for William Milne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this helps - but have found service numbers for two W Milne's who were leading aircraftmen

W J  Milne  1342161  Leading Aircraftman  1945  159 Maintenance Unit   

W Milne     1003682   Leading Aircraftman 1946 324 Wing

I guess we now need to know if 159 Maintenance Unit or 324 Wing were based at Colinsburgh in 1945/6!

Cheers

Kev

Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my late grandfather's service records from WW2  but unfortunately there's no service number.
What I do know is that he was a leading aircraftman and was a joiner/carpenter to trade and was at one point stationed at Raf Colinsburgh. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

If you apply to the MOD for his Service Records, the service number isn't mandatory!
You can apply with his date of birth, a copy of his death certificate, and the usual fee of 30.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline IanMac67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for both replies and will look into requesting his records from the MOD.