Author Topic: FOWLIE family South Shields  (Read 2715 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FOWLIE family South Shields
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Possibilities for Henry
Newcastle Journal 25th July 1916, page 7 col 2

Mrs Fowlie, 12, Maxwell St, South Shields, has been informed that her husband Private Henry Fowlie was wounded in the left hand on July 1st, and is in hospital at Southport.

Marriages Q4 1914 S Shields, Henry Fowlie and Mary Brown
4 likely children all registered S Shields, with MMN Brown : Henry (1915), Irene (1924), Mary (1929) and another in 1932 (who is 'possibly' still alive so I haven't posted the full name, but its available on FreeBMD)

There is a soldiers medical record (on FindMyPast) for a Henry Fowlie, Pte 234 of the Northumberland Fusiliers, age 23, had been in the army for 18 months and in the field for 6 months. On 1.7.1916 he was admitted to the Casualty Clearing Station (no 34) with a wound to his left hand, the note in the final column says Evac O.T which 'may' mean overseas transport but that's just a guess.

Also on FindMyPast is a transcription of the Silver War Badge Roll for Henry Fowlie Pte 26/234 Northumberland Fusiliers, who enlisted on 24.11.1914 and was discharged because of wounds on 9.10 1916.

Using the parents names and combination of the children's names on Free BMD, there is a matching family on the 1939 register in South Shields: Henry (born 1894), Mary (1895), Irene (1924) and Mary (1929)

and a possible death registered South Shields, Q4 1968, Henry Fowlie age 73.

Not writ in stone that this is 'your' Henry, but worth investigating further. If you have access to FindMyPast/ British Newspaper Archive or your library does, or can get to an LDS FHC who will happily let you use their computer to search,  it may pay off to trawl through 3 months of death notices (I've found that for announcements in particular the optical character recognition system fails gloriously to find what I want).
If you find a death notice that looks like it may be the one you are after, look on the death date the following year as they 'may' be In Memoriam notices from siblings etc who may not have been mentioned in the death notice. Sometimes you strike lucky and can confirm that you have the right person by doing that.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the mentioned Henry married at St Michael on 28 November 1914.

https://www.southtyneside.gov.uk/article/34814/Search-historical-births-deaths-and-marriages-records

I hope original poster comes back after all these posts Boo.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »

I hope original poster comes back after all these posts Boo.
Well RTL, they may or may not I suppose, but these things happen.

I am off now for some sun and R & R
Have a lovely Christmas everyone

Boo

Offline lynniedsn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 December 18 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all your replies much much appreciated
Davidson-Peterhead, Geddes-Peterhead, Buckie, banffshire. Milne - Peterhead. Porters - Peterhead. Buchan - Peterhead. Buchan - St.Combs.

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 May 19 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hello: Is anyone still following these posts for the Fowlie family in South Shields? I am working my way through the family connections as Robert Fowlie 1854-1899 is a 5th cousin twice removed. Happy to cooperate with what I have.
Warren Fowlie Aotearoa New Zealand
FOWLIE, FOWLLIE, FOULIE, also FAWLIE (Scotland Census), sometimes FOWLER, historically FOULZIE and other variations noted.