Author Topic: Royal Navy Ensign  (Read 563 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Royal Navy Ensign
« on: Monday 17 December 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I was under the impression that the current RN ensign only dates from 1861 and yet many images/films about the Napoleonic wars show the modern ensign. Some of the paintings appear to be old.

I thought that the Navy was in three squadrons, the red, the white and the blue. Admirals were assigned to one of these, Nelson was apparently a Vice Admiral of the White. Not sure the Trafalgar ships had union on white backgrounds.

The three squadrons equated to fleets, one in the North Sea, the Channel Squadron and the Mediterranean.

Can some Rootschatter elucidate the matter. Thank you.     
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy Ensign
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
You are correct, there were three squadrons each with their own flag, but in honour of Nelson the white ensign was adopted universally by the whole navy.

Martin

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy Ensign
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
In 1861? Nelson would have had to live to 1833 to be Admiral of the Fleet. Promotion was due to seniority from becoming a post captain. One of Jane Austins brothers was Admiral of the fleet c1860. There are photographs extant on Internet. Another brother was the real high flyer, captured 100 enemy ships in the Napoleonic wars, mainly non warships I would think.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.