Author Topic: How Far Back Can You Go!  (Read 4219 times)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How Far Back Can You Go!
« on: Monday 17 December 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Just thought i had to share this one, no names no pack drill etc.

But just how far back can you go with your research, personally I'm confident I've taken the wife's line back to 1682 and the death of her 7th great grandfather, still trying to go back further but that's another story.

Anyway my reason for posting we had contact the other day from someone saying they are linked to my wife's side and sent us some charts and family trees, one of these trees shows a lineage all the way back to Adam, yes THE ADAM, blimey I thought that's going some. I know if you believe in that sort of thing we're all supposed to be descended from Adam and Eve but to have it actually mapped out stopped me in my tracks I can tell you, never seen anything like it before.

Obviously gonna take some serious research to show this one to be true but hey just how far back can you go??

All the best for Christmas etc. etc.

BourneGooner

Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How Far Back Can You Go!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
At least it gives you more of a laugh than a Christmas cracker joke. ;D  ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure we've all seen that scroll which often gets brought out for episodes of 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that documents the British Royal Family through William the Conqueror all the way back to God himself.

I've found no royal ancestry personally but if I did, I would be tempted to make a duplicate of my tree with that lineage included, just for fun of course.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
https://archive.org/stream/yalegenealogyhis00yale/yalegenealogyhis00yale_djvu.txt

The family name "Yale" orig-inated in Wales and was formerly
spelled "lal" and "Yal" and comes from the commote, hundred, or dis-
trict of Yale, in Powys Fadog, Wales. The district of Yale, together
with the adjoining district of Bromfield on the west, have formed since
the end of the thirteenth century, a lordship, known as the lordship of
Bromfield and Yale. Both Bromfield and Yale are in the county of
Denbigh.

The district of Yale is an upland plain bounded on all sides by hills
and contains the old parishes of Llandysiles yn Yale, Bryn Eglwys,
L/lanarmon yn Yale, Llandegla yn Yale and Llanrones. Each parish,
except the last named, being divided into townships.

https://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/7/7a/Llywelyn-29.jpg

Cuneda The first King of the Britons about the year 415, A.D.   

Think I need the DNA test.  :)

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
There was a thread on here recently which mentioned finding a tree which went back to Adam. Thread title may have been something like "Ancestry rubbish".

I've traced one line to a marriage 1690s. The family lived in a tiny village from then until early 19thC. The surname was one of the commonest in the parish and is in parish registers from 1500s on but trying to identify who was who before 1690 will probably be impossible. Adding to the usual research problems, there was a plague in the parish in 1650s and many children were buried without a first name. 
Another line was in one place for 300 years before 1825. They have an unusual surname but it was common there. They appear in rent rolls and other manorial documents for the same part of the parish, dating back to 1500s. My earliest identifiable ancestor is probably Thomas, born in parish c1694, according to Return of Papists 1767. As he was Catholic his baptism isn't in parish register. The Thomas who married in 1719 may have been him or it may not - he might have had a clandestine, unrecorded Catholic marriage ceremony.  :-\ Baptism/birth of his son, my 5xGGF isn't in parish register. Even if they were all in parish registers, I wouldn't get much further back as registers began in 1679. Fathers in baptism entries in 1680s were differentiated as "Thomas the Elder", "Thomas the Taylor", "Thomas (Town)", "Thomas the Younger" apart from one who was simply "Thomas". I've collected several wills (including one of another, younger "Thomas the Younger") and there are many more to look at. I've seen an online tree for this family allegedly going back to mid 1600s. It was wrong in several places in 18th & 19thC and was probably speculation pre 1700 - simply picking out names from marriage and baptism registers which seemed to fit a likely timeframe. Tree owner may have accepted every "hint" presented.  ::)
Cowban

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 December 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
After 40+ years of research, plus some help from a Garrad researcher in East Anglia, I have with confidence (and documents!) traced my paternal line back to 1550! ;D

Incidentally, with the exception of the 1911 Census, my surname has always been spelled Garrad, and NOT Garrard ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 December 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
   My furthest back is a couple who would have been born about 1645/50, but I can't find either birth - I am blaming the Commonwealth gap! I would love to bridge this gap, as I have a suspicion that the wife was part of one of my other families.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 December 18 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Rather embarrassingly. I can only get back to 1865/1870 on two lines, and 1830ish on the other two.

The 1870 one I dont even have a birth/baptism/ census entry before 1892, so im not really sure I should even count that far.  :'(

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 December 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »

I can get back to 1604 in East Grinstead, Sussex on one Maternal side, - purely because they stayed put in one place, and left Wills.

But on my Paternal side, I'm stuck with my Wilson Grandfather in Manchester in 1860:-( And have been for about 40yrs now...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.