Author Topic: John McNicol / Miller (born in mid/late 1920s) Glasgow  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McNicol / Miller (born in mid/late 1920s) Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Just to add the John McNicol Miller registration in Bonhilll is the same one as the John McNicol Duff in Bomhill also indexed under Crerar and Miller
As he is registered under Miller his father went and registered him with your gt grandmother and his name will be on the certificate
It also appears to have been registered in Springburn as well I would guess this is because your Grt grandmother was married to James Duff and John wasn't his child she had him away from the family home and he was born and registered in Springburn but also it was forwarded on to  Bonhill as that was her usual residence

Offline dancingscottie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to add the John McNicol Miller registration in Bonhilll is the same one as the John McNicol Duff in Bomhill also indexed under Crerar and Miller
As he is registered under Miller his father went and registered him with your gt grandmother and his name will be on the certificate
It also appears to have been registered in Springburn as well I would guess this is because your Grt grandmother was married to James Duff and John wasn't his child she had him away from the family home and he was born and registered in Springburn but also it was forwarded on to  Bonhill as that was her usual residence

Really helpful, thank you EVERYONE!!!  I was so confused about all these different names and locations... it seems like the mud is clearing.

Offline dancingscottie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you connected the Crerar and the McNicol families. Could he have been given to a family member?

Added: How do you know he was ‘given’ to a McNicol family?

Jamjar

My Mum was able to tell me that about him.  She vaguely remembers her Grandma McNicol, and knew that there was an affair with a bus driver.... I don't know how the McNicols came to be involved, but I was told that they "helped a woman out of a situation." 

Offline dancingscottie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
I still have been unable to find any more information on John McNicol-Miller-Crerar. 

I've been searching for a death certificate, but as it is impossible to know where he might have gone after abandoning his wife and two children, and him going by multiple names, its so hard.

Any advice welcomed.