Author Topic: McCann Francis Royal Irish Fusiliers 5315  (Read 909 times)

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCann Francis Royal Irish Fusiliers 5315
« on: Monday 17 December 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Francis McCann Royal Irish Fusiliers number 5315. I was able to obtain his medal card but as you may know it gives very little information in regards to do with his address or other information. It was also the case that Army personnel have no record for him. Any help in regards information on him would be of great help to me.

Hopefully this site might be of aid to my search for any personal details on him.

Thanks

Mack

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCann Francis Royal Irish Fusiliers 5315
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Wounded in the right hip in May 1915 per a medical record on FindMyPast (No 3 Casualty Clearing Station):

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2/GBM/MH106/MH106-302/0016&parentid=GBM/MH106/305020

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Wounded in the right hip in May 1915 per a medical record on FindMyPast (No 3 Casualty Clearing Station):

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2/GBM/MH106/MH106-302/0016&parentid=GBM/MH106/305020

Thanks Shaun have pm/ed you. Regards Mack

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 22 13:31 GMT (UK) »
If I may also just say that my original information in regards 5315 Francis McCann was in error. In fact his details are he was in the 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers with the service number 6224. But i would like once again to thank anyone who helped with the initial request. Sorry it was wrong to begin with. Ed

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 February 22 14:03 GMT (UK) »
His entry in the Medal Rolls for the British War Medal and the Victory Medal shows that he was in the following. [His entry records that he was a Lance Corporal]

1 Royal Irish Fusiliers
5/6 Royal Irish Fusiliers
9 Royal Irish Fusiliers

His entry in the Medal Rolls for the 1914 Star Medal shows that he disembarked (on foreign soil) on the 31 October 1914 (ties in with his Medal Index Card)

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 February 22 14:21 GMT (UK) »
His entry in the Medal Rolls for the British War Medal and the Victory Medal shows that he was in the following. [His entry records that he was a Lance Corporal]

1 Royal Irish Fusiliers
5/6 Royal Irish Fusiliers
9 Royal Irish Fusiliers

His entry in the Medal Rolls for the 1914 Star Medal shows that he disembarked (on foreign soil) on the 31 October 1914 (ties in with his Medal Index Card)
Allen sorry but the 5315 Francis Mccann is not the right soldier. There was a mix up on my part with this man. The Francis McCann I was looking for had the service number 6224 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers. But thank you for your post. Ed

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 February 22 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone enlighten me on the details in this pension record for my grandfather Francis. Thanks for any help with this. Ed

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 February 22 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware that there are another 5 pension cards for Francis McCann, 55687?

One card shows that a claim had been submitted, his health problem was Malaria, but the card is endorsed 'Claim to Pension Rejected, 10/6/19'

Another card shows that his widow of 4 McDonnell Street, Belfast had made a claim for a pension. The card shows that she was awarded 8 shillings a week from 5.11.20 to 30.11.20.

Sorry that I can't assist you with the card that you have posted.

Have you seen his Medal Index Card? It states that he was in Theatre of War (1) [France] from 8 February 1915, he was awarded the 1914/15 Star Medal, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 February 22 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Allan. yes thanks I have his medal card. I am lead to believe he was wounded/gassed in early 1915. But it wasn't reported for nearly a year after for some unknown reason. It seems he was in the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Who on looking for their actions in WW1 were also in the Middle East. Later as you see he was in the ASC where I think he was a driver of some kind of heavy vehicle. As for a time after the war he drove such a vehicle in civilian life. I am a bit confused as to the short time my grandmother was awarded the pension for him though. By the way he actually died in 1931.

Again thank you for your kind help. Ed