Author Topic: American grandfather?  (Read 724 times)

Offline Laini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
American grandfather?
« on: Monday 17 December 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could someone help me please. Having read a bunch of stuff on the internet I'm more confused than ever. My question is....If I took a Dna test to determine my ethnicity would it be able to tell me if an ancestor was from America or would it just include the ethnicity of the American?

eg. There is a family rumour that my Mothers father was an American G.I but some family members refute that.

If this is possible, what type of test would I need to take. I am female searching for Mothers Father.

I know it would not point to a specific person but as far as I am aware, I have no other rellies from the USA so it could just confirm or deny a rumour.

Thanks
Elaine

Bunn- Wrexham & Peldon, Essex: Jones: Glasspoole: Edwards: Williamson-Southampton: Sowell- Essex

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: American grandfather?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Americans are not an ethnic group that can be identified by their DNA unless you mean a Native American.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 03:40 GMT (UK) »
If you took an autosomal DNA test, you would match with all your ancestors, paternal and maternal, for a few generations reliably, a few more less reliable.

Ignore the ethnicity part of your results - most of my American matches (who sometimes trace their trees back for hundreds of years as USA exclusively) have ethnicity results indicating heritage from Great Britain, Ireland or Europe generally. It is not supposed to represent recent history, more a snapshot of thousands of years ago.

Wherever your grandfather was born you could expect to find second, third and fourth cousins, possibly half aunts/uncles. If a few more people from your family test - any aunts, uncles, cousins etc. - that would give you an indication of which matches are paternal and which are maternal.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA#Who_to_test.3F

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laini,

Erato is correct in saying that American is not an ethnicity, although Native American is often lumped in with East Asian ethnicity by the major DNA testing companies eg 23andMe. Modern Americans have their roots in Europe, Africa and Asia etc.

You were asking what DNA  test might be useful in searching for a possible recent American "GI" ancestor. Well the best option would be an Autosomal DNA, which would give you ethnicity/admixture estimate and cousin matches. If your grandfather was from the USA then you may find cousin matches or even close family in the States.

I would recommend that you contact a group called GITrace http://gitrace.org/index.html This group was set up to help people find their GI fathers and family.

Don't ignore ethnicity estimates as they can be useful. I speak from experience! My Ancestry DNA showed 22% Asian, although my mother was German and my father was English. I tested with other companies and got up to 25% South Asian (Family Tree DNA) My updated ethnicity at Ancestry DNA shows 19% Southern Asia, 2% Western & Central Asia-Gujurat, and 1% Burusho-Pakistan. Further tests within the family proved that my biological father was actually an Anglo-Indian serviceman. I have been able to make contact with members of my biological family. Although my biological father has passed  I have been welcomed as a member of a very global family.

At the GITrace site you will find Ute's Page (Ute Baur-Timmerbrink) which talks about Children of the Occupation- Besatzungskinder. To quote;
"Between 1945 and 1955 hundreds of thousands of children whose fathers were soldiers in the Allied occupying forces, were born in Germany and Austria.

Many of these so-called Children of the Occupation have never met their fathers from the USA, Great Britain, France or the former Soviet Union. Very often they experienced exclusion from society and even from their own families.
"

Even if nothing unusual shows up in your ethnicity or admixture estimate you may find useful cousin matches. Moreover, it is worth testing your mother as well as your self, if you are able, as the matches will appear closer. Ancestry DNA has the largest membership with over 10M DNA clients worldwide but with a huge USA database. Christmas sale prices apply.

Good Luck with your search!
pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline Laini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info. After reading back my initial post, I now realise how stupid it sounds. I shall try the autosomal test and if it throws up a bunch of cousins from across the pond I suppose i'll get my answer.

This is the only way as we do not have a name for said GI just a rumour

Thanks Again
Elaine
Bunn- Wrexham & Peldon, Essex: Jones: Glasspoole: Edwards: Williamson-Southampton: Sowell- Essex