Author Topic: Christina Stuart MacDonald b1833 Blair Athole to Donald MacD & Margt Robertson  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Stuart MacDonald b1833 Blair Athole to Donald MacD & Margt Robertson
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 December 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
The ferrets wanted to send you a Christmas present and complete the job.

22nd April 1795. James and Donald, twins, lawful children to Thomas McDonald and Christian McDonald in Auchtibart were baptised. (Logierait OPR)

23rd January 1797. John l s (lawful son) to Thomas McDonald and Christian McDonald in Auchtibart was baptised (Logierait OPR)

What is interesting is that these were baptisms from Rannoch which was a detached part of the parish, so instead of having a family near Logierait village they are over 20 miles away westwards and nearly at Kinloch Rannoch. Here is a link to the national Library of Scotland's map room which will show Auchtibart on the 1st Edition of the Ordnance Survey map of the area.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.7037&lon=-4.1366&layers=5&b=1

This is very small area which included Drumcastle and Drumachuine and was 'owned' by Robertson of Drumachuine. After the '45 Rising, a garrison who posted here to keep things from boiling over again. It is said that the original McDonalds came from Sunart and were invited to settle the area, as there were too few people living here (maybe the result of an outbreak of smallpox, cholera or a plague)

The other entries on the page relate to Donald McDonald / Christian Cameron and Duncan McDonald / Ann Campbell. These are the dominant clan names of the area and may be related to your family. As they were so far from the parish church it is quite likely that the Minister came across to this part of his parish from time to time, and carried out all of the baptisms at the same time.

Throth

P.S. We didn't need to see a receipt but your work is most commendable and, we are sure, appreciated by those less fortunate than ourselves!  Happy Christmas

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Stuart MacDonald b1833 Blair Athole to Donald MacD & Margt Robertson
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 December 18 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Troth,

Thank you and your starring ferrets for "completing the job" as you term it.

My Richardson / MacDonald cousin Robert, is also very happy with what you have discovered, and although I wont see him for about two weeks, my assumption is that he might be prepared to hire your services, if you can advise if its possible or likely you could confirm birth records of Thomas and Christain MacDonald, and their parents details. ( I am just a pensioner, however Robert is on a good wage working in the mines in Western Australia 3000 miles from here ).

From my estimation, confirming details this far back, ie. to Christina Stuart MacDonalds great grandparents, should help clarify any possible link to Flora MacDonald from Skye, re the family broach I mentioned earlier.

Thank you too for the map link, and the additional hint the MacDonalds may have come from Sunart - I assume that is the Loch near the coast, and a lot closer to Skye than Logirait. Found an interesting read on the MacDonald Arms Hotel at Kinlock Rannock too.

Many Thanks again to you and your ferrets,
Happy Christmas and a top 2019 to you all,
Mixo Sydenham
Victoria
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 February 19 05:39 GMT (UK) »
To save duplication of effort, other thread;

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807521.msg6667508

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"