Author Topic: Rippleside paddock & beach,Victoria Aus. late 1950's for clean and colour  (Read 1966 times)

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Rippleside paddock & beach,Victoria Aus. late 1950's for clean and colour
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Reckon you are right about the make then, McGroger - not a Jowett Javelin - very similar in shape though aren't they.    ;)   
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
You're right, Wiggy. I only started googling Peugeots because I have a soft spot for them. Didn't even think of the Javelin. I came across a car nut (sorry, aficionado) blog while I was googling where some people said as kids they always got those two cars mixed up. But didn't so many of those post war cars look the same. You could even argue that the Holden 48-215 (FX) was a Morris Minor built by a committee. :D
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »

That is an interesting car in the foreground. In 1953 Ken Tubman and John Marshall won the inaugural Redex Round Australia trial driving a Peugeot 203, a car with an engine of only 1.3 litres against Holden’s 2.2 litres, a real David versus Goliath. The Peugeot’s reputation for ruggedness and reliability saw it go into local assembly in the same year as the race.

The car pictured would have been a later example (twin tail-lights were introduced in 1955). These later models had a standard sunroof, standard roof racks and were one of the first mainstream cars to come standard with synchromesh on all four gears.

That’s a longwinded way of saying your late 1950s date should be about right.

Anyway, here’s my try.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks for your great restorations Peter, both the b & w and colour look fabulous!  Thanks also about the info. on the car, I do know my great uncle had a number of Peugeot's, and had he still been around he would have told me all about them.  My great aunt is 90 years old and she is the owner of this photo, all she could tell me was that it was a Peugeot, ha ha!! and that the photo was taken in the late 50's.

She will be thrilled with the great photo restorations everyone has had a hand in!

I can remember Rippleside when it looked very much as your first photo shows Aussielass. 

If we were going on a long car trip in that direction, that would always be our stopping place for loo, leg stretch and lunch break.    ;)

How about that Wiggy, I didn't expect anyone to have a clue about where Rippleside was.   :D ;D
Duggan, William - Wales c.1795, Australia
White, Eleanor - Queens Co. Ireland c.1810
Aspinall, Alexander - Lancashire
Beardsell, Jonas - Huddersfield, Yorkshire
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Cochrane, Mary Ann- Agadowey, Derry, Ireland - 1835
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Cann, Eliza - Grantchester, Cambridge - 1839
Tait, Christopher - Delting, Shetland - 1854
Johnson - Shetland

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure, Aussielass. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas. :D
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure, Aussielass. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas. :D
Cheers,
Peter
You too Peter!  :D :-*
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Johnson - Shetland

Offline Prouty99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 December 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »

That is an interesting car in the foreground. In 1953 Ken Tubman and John Marshall won the inaugural Redex Round Australia trial driving a Peugeot 203, a car with an engine of only 1.3 litres against Holden’s 2.2 litres, a real David versus Goliath. The Peugeot’s reputation for ruggedness and reliability saw it go into local assembly in the same year as the race.

The car pictured would have been a later example (twin tail-lights were introduced in 1955). These later models had a standard sunroof, standard roof racks and were one of the first mainstream cars to come standard with synchromesh on all four gears.

That’s a longwinded way of saying your late 1950s date should be about right.

Anyway, here’s my try.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks for your great restorations Peter, both the b & w and colour look fabulous!  Thanks also about the info. on the car, I do know my great uncle had a number of Peugeot's, and had he still been around he would have told me all about them.  My great aunt is 90 years old and she is the owner of this photo, all she could tell me was that it was a Peugeot, ha ha!! and that the photo was taken in the late 50's.

She will be thrilled with the great photo restorations everyone has had a hand in!

I can remember Rippleside when it looked very much as your first photo shows Aussielass. 

If we were going on a long car trip in that direction, that would always be our stopping place for loo, leg stretch and lunch break.    ;)

How about that Wiggy, I didn't expect anyone to have a clue about where Rippleside was.   :D ;D

I have been following this thread with interest, and some great restorations on here . Just to add my tuppence worth the reg for that car GDN 739 is actually available to buy as a personal plate at the present time in Australia on sa.gov.au, although locating a quality Peugeot 203 to stick it on may be a little more difficult.

A family member used to have a Jowett Javelin and the Jowetts had three windows on each side. Your car only has two windows...,It's definitely a Peugeot

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 December 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
A try from me, John.

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 December 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »

Thanks John, for your time and effort, it looks good!!  The red really makes the car stand out!  :D

Kind Regards,  Aussielass  :)

Johnson - Shetland