Author Topic: Rankin Family Garvagh area  (Read 4304 times)

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rankin Family Garvagh area
« on: Tuesday 18 December 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
This may be a long shot but worth a try in asking for help. I have traced my Rankin family line back to a Leslie Rankin, born around 1807 in Garvagh and died in 1904 in the same place.

I know his father was called James but do not know when he was born or when he died. Leslie and James were both architects/builders. There were a lot of Rankins in this area in these 2 centuries, however i have struggled to connect them as one family. My Rankin line have always been Church of Ireland, whereas the other Rankin's have generally been Presbyterian. I've tried looking for common names that could help establish a link but this has proved unsuccessful.

If anyone can provide any help at all, no matter how small it would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rankin Family Garvagh area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Details posted on previous topic-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789904.18

Coleraine Chronicle, 22 Sept.1849: Married- At Garvagh, county Derry, on the 8th inst., by the Rev. Mitchell Smyth, Mr. Leslie Rankin, builder, to Margaret, second daughter of James Jack, Esq., Glasgow.
See another earlier topic- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789907.msg6456931
"Leslie and Margaret had one son, 'Mitchell Smyth Rankin', he would be my 3x great grandfather and was born around 1853. He was the only child these two had together. I'm assuming he was named after the COI minister for St. Pauls in Garvagh who was interestingly born in 1807 like Leslie Rankin."

15 Dec.1868 St. Guaire's Church of Ireland, Aghadowey, Leslie Rankin, widower, carpenter, Garvagh, son of James Rankin, architect, to Jane Grisham, Ballyquinn [Ballynacally], daughter of Longford Grisham. A son was born 2 Jan.1873.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Garvagh/Sarvagh/1520006

Constitution, 23 Jan.1904: Leslie Rankin died at his residence, Garvagh on Sunday aged 97.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Some of this might help  ;)

Garvagh directories-
1846 - James Rankin, carpenter
1870 - Leslie Rankin, carpenter & grocer
1897 - Leslie Rankin, house carpenter
1900 - Leslie Rankin - house carpenter

Lord Garvagh's Leases-

1st December 1805.  George Bell and James Rankin.
Lease of a Double tenement for 31 years or three lives.  George Bell Gortfad and James Rankin Garvagh, double tenement on the Bleach-green in Garvagh next to that held by David Millar, fifty feet in front with a passage of seven and a half feet and extending to the river the same breadth.  Said double or two tenements to be built and slated the same height as M’Gettigan’s.  Lives of Anne Rankin daughter of James aged one year, James Bell 18 years and Samuel Bell aged 2 years sons of George Bell.

1st December 1815.  James Rankin of Garvagh, Carpenter.  The two tenements on the Bleach-green in Garvagh adjoining James McFall’s tenement containing fifty feet in front with a sufficient passage for a gateway to accommodate the said two tenements, bounded on the north by that part of the Bleach-green that is yet unset, on the south by the River Errigal, on the east by James McFall’s Tenement and on the west by the street of Garvagh, said tenement to be slated and finished similar to the other tenements already built on the said Bleach-green.

Not sure if this one connected-
1st January 1807. John M’Wade senior to John M’Wade jun. lease of one half of a tenement.  Life of James Rankin the elder of Garvagh, Blacksmith.

8th December 1827.  Isaac May, Shoemaker, Garvagh.  Tenement containing twenty five feet seven inches in front and running back two hundred and ten feet seven inches, bounded on one side by the tenement occupied by James Rankin and on the other side by the tenement now unoccupied which adjoins the school house.  In the front by the street of Garvagh and in the rear by the boundary as now laid off by Daniel Kane, being as far back as the wall built to enclose the school house tenement and measuring from front to rear two hundred and ten feet seven inches.  Lives of Charles Rankin son to Hugh Rankin of Liscall, aged 5 years, George Rankin aged 3 years and Leslie Rankin aged 1 year sons of James Rankin carpenter of Garvagh.  Lease for 31 years.  NOTE: Now William McMaster.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »
8th December 1827.  Isaac May ...  Lives of Charles Rankin son to Hugh Rankin of Liscall, aged 5 years, George Rankin aged 3 years and Leslie Rankin aged 1 year sons of James Rankin carpenter of Garvagh.

Moneydig Presbyterian Church, 24 Aug.1854, Charles Rankin, farmer, Liscall, son of Hugh Rankin, farmer, to Margaret Ann Kennedy, 18, Caheney, daughter of Samuel Kennedy, farmer.

Children of Charles & Margaret-
John Lyttle Rankin bapt. 11 June 1860 1st Garvagh Presbyterian Church
Leslie Rankin born 20 Jan.1862, bapt. 30 Mar.1862 1st Garvagh Presbyterian Church

Widow Margaret Rankin & 3 children- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Glenkeen/Liscall/1520270
Same household 10 years later-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Glenkeen/Liscall/591342

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Administration of the Estate of the late Samuel Rankin, Liscall, Co. Londonderry, Farmer, who died 25 January 1920, granted at Londonderry 5 May 1920 to John Rankin, Farmer, the brother. Effects: £1437 5s.

Rankin John of Liscall Garvagh county Londonderry farmer died 12 February 1944 Probate Londonderry 21 April to reverend Leslie Rankin presbyterian clergyman. Effects £53 10s.

Rankin the reverend Leslie of Duniris Manse Limavady Road Londonderry presbyterian clergyman died 24 January 1949 at the City and County Hospital Londonderry Probate Londonderry 2 May to James Malseed merchant. Effects £3450 3s. 1d.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
1st Garvagh Presbyterian Church
1811 Visitation-
     Liscall: Hugh Rankin, wife Ann, Chas, Maryann, Martha, Agnes
     Garvagh: Widow Rankin, Agnes

1825 Visitation-
     Liscall: Hugh Ranken, Ann, Chas, Mary Ann, Martha, Agnes, Eliza, Rebecca

1840 Visitation-
     Liscall: Hugh Rankin, wife Anne, children Charles, Mary Ann, Martha, Nancy, Eliza, Rebecca

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Aghadowey, excellent work. Would you say its safe to assume that James Rankin and Hugh Rankin were closely related ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
The leases indicate that there is probably a close relationship, possibly they were brothers. The leases and Note on Tenants are not available online but there is a very interesting marriage which I'll try to remember to post.

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 December 18 23:04 GMT (UK) »
That would be great, anything else you find please post. Thanks again for your help!