Author Topic: Rankin Family Garvagh area  (Read 4270 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rankin Family Garvagh area
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 December 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
This is the interesting marriage- bear in mind that I posted widow Margaret Rankin in 1901 and 1911 census earlier (reply #3)-

There's a Charles Rankin, age 55, died 1 Mar.1868 in Coleraine district.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGLJ-649M (should be Errigal Parish)

Coleraine Registry Office, 23 Jan.1872, John Gilmour, labourer, Liscall, son of Hugh Gilmour, labourer, to Margaret Rankin, widow, Liscall, daughter of Samuel Kennedy, farmer.

Havent been up near Liscall in a few hours and will be back there shortly  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 19 02:47 BST (UK) »

8th December 1827.  Isaac May, Shoemaker, Garvagh.  Tenement containing twenty five feet seven inches in front and running back two hundred and ten feet seven inches, bounded on one side by the tenement occupied by James Rankin and on the other side by the tenement now unoccupied which adjoins the school house.  In the front by the street of Garvagh and in the rear by the boundary as now laid off by Daniel Kane, being as far back as the wall built to enclose the school house tenement and measuring from front to rear two hundred and ten feet seven inches.  Lives of Charles Rankin son to Hugh Rankin of Liscall, aged 5 years, George Rankin aged 3 years and Leslie Rankin aged 1 year sons of James Rankin carpenter of Garvagh[/i][/i][/i].  Lease for 31 years.  NOTE: Now William McMaster.

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 19 02:56 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace George Rankin, born c.1824, son to James and Brother of Leslie. I'm not sure Ann Rankin is their sister though. I have found a George Rankin in Pennsylvania, Lehigh in 1870 US census, his wife is Christina McNeal who i believe he married in Ireland but i cant find out where or when. He has several children all born in Ireland according to that census, they arrived as a family in the US in around 1865. Also, one of his children is called Leslie aged 5 in 1870, which is my strongest evidence that this the correct George.

I have struggled with finding more on the family as a whole using various sites and resources. If any one can help me connect the two brothers that would be appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 May 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
You seem to have gotten the Rankins a bit muddled.

I have been trying to trace George Rankin, born c.1824, son to James and Brother of Leslie. I'm not sure Ann Rankin is their sister though.
According to the leases Ann Rankin, daughter of James was born c1804. Leslie born c1807 was her brother.

I have found a George Rankin in Pennsylvania, Lehigh in 1870 US census, his wife is Christina McNeal who i believe he married in Ireland but i cant find out where or when.
Marriage extract easily found online- father William Rankin, date 1863.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGYQ-V41P
This extract for same marriage gives Templemore Parish (in or near Derry City)-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGNR-FXM

Looks like George had been married previously.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZPG-F3N

The Rankin family arrived N.Y. 7 Aug.1865.

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 May 19 01:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. Yes, i am a little confused by the family. From Lord Garvaghs' Leases 8th December 1827, Leslie Rankin is only 1 year old. Whereas, Census material and death cert. put his birth year somewhere between 1807 and 1814.  ??? Are Ann, Leslie and George siblings or is the age gap too much between her and the other two ? Is it two different James Rankin i wonder.

I can find nothing about George or Ann which is frustrating. I now know i have the wrong George in the US as his father was William. If anyone can shed light that would be great  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 May 19 08:00 BST (UK) »
There was more than one James Rankin. If you look at all the leases-

1st December 1805...  George Bell Gortfad and James Rankin Garvagh ...  Lives of Anne Rankin daughter of James aged one year …

James Rankin
1. Annie Rankin (c1804)

8th December 1827.  ...  Lives of Charles Rankin son to Hugh Rankin of Liscall, aged 5 years, George Rankin aged 3 years and Leslie Rankin aged 1 year sons of James Rankin carpenter of Garvagh. 

Hugh Rankin, Liscall
1. Charles Rankin (c1822)

James Rankin, carpenter, Garvagh
1. George Rankin (c1824)
2. Leslie Rankin (c1826)

Will post more later.

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 May 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
That would be great, thank you 🙂

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 July 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone can add anything else to this thread ? Any help whatsoever would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Debra9

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 November 20 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi does anyone have any information on Margaret Rankin, who had a baby daughter out of wedlock on 16 September 1943, she came over to Derby to have the baby.  She was of Presbyterian religion and the father's name was Ted Daly of Lower Leeson Street Dublin.  Thank you.