Author Topic: Rant - FreeCen changes  (Read 5282 times)

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rant - FreeCen changes
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Golden rule after nearly 50 years in the IT industry : "If it ain't bust, don't fix it".

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I looked at it last night and noticed it also

Doesnt have the same flexibilty as before. ie skipping to the next property to see if family or future in laws lived nearby

That's a shame.  For Scotland in particular that was a very handy feature.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Doesnt have the same flexibilty as before. ie skipping to the next property to see if family or future in laws lived nearby
I hadn't got as far as noticing that - it's a major new flaw and will greatly reduce the usefulness of FreeCEN for finding out where places were.
Ah! It is still there, but it's in the row of buttons along the top of the screen and not visible if you have had to scroll down to see all the members of the household. Daft place to put it.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad I think you might have worked for the same outfit as me.  I'd look you up in the old green loose-leaf internal directory I spirited away but I think I might have got rid of it.  It started going downhill for me when a massive development was outsourced to a sub-continent concern whose staff had only a basic grip of our language and no knowledge at all of the UK banking system.

Thankfully redundancy and early retirement came to my rescue.

Jane :-)

Jane, That's a bit too close for comfort! ;D
I worked for the Life Assurance arm of a major Bank/Building Society, which was originally based in West Yorkshire and Scotland ;)
I was based in Maastricht :D

Those sub-continent concerns sound very cheap, going by the hourly rate, but it takes them 10 times longer to achieve anything!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't got as far as noticing that - it's a major new flaw and will greatly reduce the usefulness of FreeCEN for finding out where places were.
Ah! It is still there, but it's in the row of buttons along the top of the screen and not visible if you have had to scroll down to see all the members of the household. Daft place to put it.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/
New address for the old version
Although search not connecting properly
No, I always get "Error 503 Service Unavailable
No server is available to handle this request" as soon as I click on 'Search the Database'.

It's working perfectly tonight.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 December 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Martin,

We used to perform:
Program Testing
Unit Testing
System Testing
User Acceptance Testing
Regression Testing

How many of these are skipped, or not done properly, these days?

Why do so many banking system updates (as an example) go so wrong?
When the mainframes were thrown out so were all the proven procedures that went along with mainframe development in analysis, design and testing.

When I was tutoring first-year University students in 1980s, that's what we taught them.
They had to do a project towards year-end, comprising 3 programs, I think.
One of my jobs as tutor was to pretend I was an illiterate user, and try to input weird numbers, etc into their programs - to try to "break" the system. It really showed them a thing or two!

so, when the program screen said "type in 4 digits", I'd type 3 digits, then I'd try 5 digits, then some letters etc etc
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 December 18 04:09 GMT (UK) »
eadaoin, that's the sort of thing I used to do, just to annoy those who were supposed to be the "experts".

I have just checked my grandfather in Durham. They have not yet converted the 1881 for Durham to the new one, and the 1891 does not find him. >:(