Author Topic: Original Owners  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Original Owners
« on: Wednesday 19 December 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am sure there will be records somewhere but so far I have been unable to find them, could some kind person point me in the right direction as I want to know who was the owners (or builders) of a large estate in Clooncah nr New Inn  Galway, I know the person who owns the property but all he can tell me is that a Lord Galway once owned it  :-\
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Original Owners
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
In 1778, Clooncah was a property of the Daly family. and Wilson mentions it as the seat of Peter Daly in 1786. Lewis records it as the seat of P. Daly in 1837. William Galway held this property at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £30. According to local tradition, Clooncah House was demolished in the early twentieth century and the stone used in the construction of the new National School at Attymon.

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=975
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
You haven't given any indication of dates but Griffith's Valuation, Valuation Revision Books, Census records, newspaper articles, etc. should all help.

Suggest you click on 'report to moderator' and ask for this thread to be moved to GALWAY board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your rapid replies :)  sorry I did not give you much to go on, in 1900 I was told that  Mitchell family moved in along with the Naughtons  (two houses and a large courtyard) this was after the owners had moved back to England  but the place still stands to this day. Have never seen anything from the papers about this but was told by the current owner. You can actually see the house and courtyard on the map that you sent me myluck.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder then is there more than one large house there as the "landedestates" site is usually quite accurate with its information on properties

Quite a number of sites refer to it, "Clooncah House", being demolished in the early 1900s

Buildings of Ireland also state that it is gone from current maps
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bin/viewsite.cgi?siteid=5275

I wonder did the Mitchells and the Naughtons live in buildings that were attached to the original house
The 1901 census has the area as Clooncak; Both families are listed
Mitchells as a 2nd class home and Naughtons as a 3rd class home
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000826808/
Note the 1st class house was occupied by Patrick Laffey but was owned by Reginald Holmes

In 1911 there was no similar 1st class house and the Naughtons and Mitchells were in similar houses to 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002408390/

edited to add
On Griffiths Valuations the Galways, Naughtons & Mitchells are all listed with the latter two in more modest properties than the Galways
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Myluck,
              I seem to have more questions than answers now, will have to start digging and asking the locals. 
                                     You have been great thanks and merry Christmas.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome
I am probably related to some of those locals!
Further generations: