Author Topic: Advice on requesting MOD search  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice on requesting MOD search
« on: Wednesday 19 December 18 20:02 GMT (UK) »
While researching my family tree, I was contacted by a relative whom I've never met but we were both stuck at the same brick wall for the same person. I managed to get through the brick wall and he was over the moon. He's a lovely chap who is 82 years old and now lives in Canada. Because he now thinks I'm a bit of a genealogy expert, he has asked me to do him a favour.

His father (my great uncle) was born in 1900 and served in India with the Welch Regiment just after WW1. He want's me to find out about his time in the army. I have a copy of his discharge papers and they show a discharge date of 1942 and only 219 days of service. It seems he joined in 1918, served for an unknown period of time and then left. He then volunteered or was conscripted into the Welch Fusiliers and was discharged on medical grounds after 7 months.

My questions are,
1) If I apply to the MOD for his records and quote the service number for his second spell in the army, will they still be able to track his earlier service history? I'm sure he would not have retained his original service number when he re-enlisted.

2) The person in question died in 1972 (so more than 25 years ago). Am I right in assuming that there is nothing to gain from getting his son to sign the application form as a close relative? He would happily do it but him living in Canada would slow things down logistically. As I read it, if the person has been dead for 25 years, the information disclosed would be the same regardless of who was applying for it.

Thanks in advance.   

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on requesting MOD search
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 20:21 GMT (UK) »
1) Almost certainly. The MOD are sticklers for paperwork!
I would give them both service numbers and any info you already have.

2) Next-of-kin form ONLY applies to someone dying in the last 25 years.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
1) Almost certainly. The MOD are sticklers for paperwork!
I would give them both service numbers and any info you already have.

Thanks. I've spent most of my working life either in the armed forces or working for them in a civilian capacity so I know what the MOD are like. The problem is, I only have the service number for his service in 1941-42, not for his service from 1918 onward.

I worry that I will pay £30 for the search and only get information on his short second stint in the army but if he was recalled in 1941 as a veteran, I would like to think his records would reference his earlier service. His son is particularly interested in his service in India which was around 1919 to 1924.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 December 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
“regiment” or “fusiliers”?  They are different.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 December 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
If he served in India after WW1 until 1924  then the records of that time will be with the MOD so you should receive receive both.

Stress that it is the earlier records with the Welch Regiment that you want, as well as any from his brief time in the Welsh Fusiliers.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 December 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Jebber. Ainslie, I know they are different. He served in both.

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 December 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
The next-of-kin issue is something I have run up against.  When we wanted to access the service records of my OH's grandfather (who died in the 1970s) we were informed that his nearest next of kin still had to give permission.  As he has two sons still living, the eldest of whom does not wish to give his permission, we have been unable to request the service records. If the information we were given is incorrect, then I would very much like to know as we still have the forms ready to send!
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 December 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The next-of-kin issue is something I have run up against.  When we wanted to access the service records of my OH's grandfather (who died in the 1970s) we were informed that his nearest next of kin still had to give permission.  As he has two sons still living, the eldest of whom does not wish to give his permission, we have been unable to request the service records. If the information we were given is incorrect, then I would very much like to know as we still have the forms ready to send!

How long ago did you apply? These were updated several years ago and if the subject died more than 25 years ago then ANYONE can request them. I have done so several times purely for research purposes. If the subject did not die while serving then you will have to provide a copy of a death certificate. The current rules are provided here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Imber

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 December 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the requirement to provide a copy of the persons death certificate, will a scan of the original or an electronic version from the GRO be acceptable?