Author Topic: X Match interpretation  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
X Match interpretation
« on: Thursday 20 December 18 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday I received my father's FTDNA Autosmal results. Both my results and my father's results show a match with "LB".

Estimated relationship with LB is 2nd to fourth cousin.
My father has 89 shared centimorgans with the longest block 39.
Mine is 86 and 36.

I have an X match but my father does not. What does this say about where LB might connect with both of us?

Over a year ago I contacted the "match" whose account is managed by a second cousin once removed. The contact claims I do not match LB on her maternal grandmother's side with "either of her cousins"  :-\ so any match must be on LB's father's or paternal grandfather's side. Frustratingly, the contact has no knowledge of that side of the family so can't help me.

I am looking for clues as this is my father's best result. I have read a bit about X matches but I am still confused.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: X Match interpretation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Try asking on:

UK Genealogy Help, - It's a Facebook (Closed) Group. You have to email them asking to join.

They are very helpful in explaining issues such as you are looking at.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Romilly but I am not on Facebook.   :)

I sent another email to LB's contact and they were a little more helpful this time - gave me a few more names (none of which tally with names in my tree). They are going to try to put me in contact with LB's son, so there is glimmer of hope there.

I am still curious about the meaning of this X match.  :-\

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »

I also find this book very helpful:

'The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy' by Blaine T Bettinger.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Romilly. I have read a few online articles by Blaine Bettinger. As I said, there is lots online about X matches, but after wading through several, I am even more confused than ever.

Some say X matches mean the connection is through the maternal line. If that is the case why do I have one and my father does not?  :-\

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Romilly. I have read a few online articles by Blaine Bettinger. As I said, there is lots online about X matches, but after wading through several, I am even more confused than ever.

Some say X matches mean the connection is through the maternal line. If that is the case why do I have one and my father does not?  :-\

There are lots of charts in the book which help to explain these sorts of issues...

I've also found the GEDMatch Site very helpful. Have you uploaded your DNA results to that Site?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 December 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Here is Blaine's website in case you are interested.

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/

:)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 December 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Do you know the sex of the match LB? Have you had your mother tested for autosomal DNA?

pughcd  :)
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 December 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Romilly, yes I have uploaded both mine and my father's results to Gedmatch (his only yesterday as I have only just received his autosomal results).

Thanks for the link to the website uk4753. As I said, I have read a few of Blaine's articles, but still confused.

pughcd, my mother is deceased but no, I have not tested her DNA. This match with LB is definitely through my father's ancestry. LB is a female.  :)