Author Topic: Congo and Mali in my uk / American cousin  (Read 522 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Congo and Mali in my uk / American cousin
« on: Thursday 20 December 18 06:16 GMT (UK) »
My cousin has done their DNA and much to my surprise it has come up with unknown 1 % Congo ,Mali   And 1 %Guinea with some small bits from other areas in the vicinity of these countries, as an American with  recent Irish and English ancestors (1805)how many generations would this it apply to create this percentage, what are the scenarios to make this possibile, thank you for any ideas to help, Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Congo and Mali in my uk / American cousin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 18 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Which company did they test with and how recently did they receive their results?

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 December 18 07:41 GMT (UK) »
 :DHi Ancestery  This week, Totally unexpected but exciting result. ty, Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 December 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Where in the USA - and when?

I read somewhere (and I don't remember where) that many people in the American south who identify as white have some African blood, but keep quiet about it - for obvious reasons (in the past it was important to be legally white which is defined as having no black ancestors at all).

It's certainly not noticeable after a few generations. My step-grandson is a quarter West Indian but as a child had blond hair. His mother is dark-haired but could pass for white (one of her sisters looks West Indian, the other looks vaguely Middle-Eastern).

Sir Lenny Henry was making a TV programme about the hidden history of black people in Britain (I may have missed it). It seems that back then such people were few and tended to marry into the local population, so their descendants are not noticeable nowadays.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)