Author Topic: Hospital in Samlesbury??  (Read 1394 times)

Offline schimmellover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hospital in Samlesbury??
« on: Thursday 20 December 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching a Seed family of Garstang/Preston area. Parents Robert Seed and Jane Seed died within 6 months of each other in 1860/1861, leaving 8 children between ages 2 and 15.  Robert died in Kirkland, Jane in Preston. A son, William James Seed died the same year age 6 in Dec 1861 in Samlesbury (according to death cert.).  The informant of death on the certificate was the attending physician.I have found no family connection with  Samlesbury, so cannot work out what this child was doing there! I wondered if there was a hospital to which he might have been sent?
Any thoughts?

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital in Samlesbury??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What was William's cause of death?  It might give a clue as to the type of hospital he was in i.e if was Tuberculosis it could be a sanitorium.  Is there also a particular address for the place of death rather than just Salmesbury?

:)
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline schimmellover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 December 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
The death cert. states he died of 'Cephalitis nervous offusion 9 days convulsions 16 hours'

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
With both parents dead, support of the children would become the responsibility of the poor law guardians.

They are quite likely to have farmed out the children to foster parents, who would have received financial support from the guardians. This worked out cheaper than keeping them full time in the Workhouse, and would generally give the children a better environment than an institution.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 December 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
William's burial showing abode of Walton-le Dale?

Burial: 13 Dec 1861 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
William James Seed -
    Abode: Walton le Dale
    Buried by: J. Wilson

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 December 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Was it William James Seed aged 5, sub district Walton le Dale? (Lancashire BMD)
Burial 13th Dec. 1861, St. John, Preston, abode Walton le Dale. (LAN OPC)

Is this burial of his mother, Jane? 26th May1861 St. John, Preston, age 39, abode Avenham Rd. (LAN OPC)

Were all the children with their mother on 1861 census? Have you found them on 1871 census?

Andrew's explanation sounds likely if there were no relatives who could take the children.

Cowban

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 December 18 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Robert's burial is interesting

'resident of Preston & Churchtown' and something I can't quite interpret what is written below his occupation of provision dealer (not inn keeper- again odd) - something about  a Henry

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 December 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Robert's occupation was corn dealer at baptisms of his older children 1847-1855, abode Friargate, Preston. Baptisms at St. John, Preston. His occupation was innkeeper and abode Kirkland from baptism of William 1856 and younger ones. (LAN OPC)

Cowban

Offline schimmellover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 December 18 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone. I think I have much of the info.
With both parents dead, support of the children would become the responsibility of the poor law guardians.

They are quite likely to have farmed out the children to foster parents, who would have received financial support from the guardians. This worked out cheaper than keeping them full time in the Workhouse, and would generally give the children a better environment than an institution.

I’ve been trying to work out what happened to these children for a few years! There was quite an extended family, so I suspect they may have been taken in by family, but hard to know.

William's burial showing abode of Walton-le Dale?

Burial: 13 Dec 1861 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
William James Seed -
    Abode: Walton le Dale
    Buried by: J. Wilson

Where did this record come from? I guess Walton le Dale is right side of Preston for Samlesbury. I’ll have to see if there’s a J Wilson anywhere. I know he had an Aunt married to a Hilton Wilson.

Was it William James Seed aged 5, sub district Walton le Dale? (Lancashire BMD)
Burial 13th Dec. 1861, St. John, Preston, abode Walton le Dale. (LAN OPC)

Is this burial of his mother, Jane? 26th May1861 St. John, Preston, age 39, abode Avenham Rd. (LAN OPC)

Were all the children with their mother on 1861 census? Have you found them on 1871 census?

Andrew's explanation sounds likely if there were no relatives who could take the children.

Yes Jane is mother. Yes all children are with mother at Avenham Road on 1861 Census. I have found some of children on 1871. Not John and Samuel died 1869.

Robert had Provision Dealer shop in Friargate and was also innkeeper at the Horn’s from 1856ish. He was a champion shot and won prizes for horse breeding. Not sure where the Henry comes from! Where are you seeing this?

Thanks again for all responses. The Smith link definitely gives me another line to follow.

Robert's burial is interesting

'resident of Preston & Churchtown' and something I can't quite interpret what is written below his occupation of provision dealer (not inn keeper- again odd) - something about  a Henry