Author Topic: Elizabeth Emily SPIRRELL born 1872 East Pennard  (Read 1392 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Emily SPIRRELL born 1872 East Pennard
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 December 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all. This is very interesting. So you've found Ann for me. She's a servant aged 25 in 1851 and her sister is looking after her two young children. I'm guessing James is either dead, left her or in prison?

By the time she married John Bridgeman in 1864 Julia and Edwin would be young adults so they didn't move in with their mother.

Can anyone suggest why Edwin's birthplace is given as Monmouthshire?

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 December 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Not being able to find a death for James Spearell/Spirel/Speril/Spurrell, I looked again at the census records for 1851 and 1861.

I can see a record of a James J M (image is unclear), patient at Brislington House Lunatic Asylum in 1861. This person was born 1823, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. Yes, several points don't add up: name is unclear and he is listed as unmarried, but there is the Monmouthshire connection.  Another possible connection is that James Speril's wife Ann is also at Brislington House in 1861 census working as a cook. Ann was working as a servant in West Pennard in 1851; why would she move a significant distance away from her children by 1861?  Could this man be her husband?

Offline Mary chorley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 June 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
I have just joined this site and I have noticed this post.

I have Elizabeth Spirell in my family tree.

It starts with her great grandparents and their off spring.

If you would like to know - just send a post and I will reply, rather than bore you with informtion you may already have.