Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18964 times)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #135 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:28 GMT (UK) »
She told me there were a few books written about them.
I did try to find siblings Elizabeth and Charles Lewis born around 1795/1797, from memory I think there were a couple of possibilities, I have Charles from the Neptune being born at Stepney, England.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:34 GMT (UK) »
James Lewis BOYD

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/134064217  6 August 1951 Newcastle Herald ... funeral

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Looks like there is quiet a lot of info on them, the lady did suggest that it was worth looking into to see if there was a connection to my Charles.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I will get some of my hardcopy local history out, but probably not get the spare moments to go through until next weekend.... but here is some online info on Thomas BOYD ... so I am concerned as to where the surname changed from SMITH to BOYD .... and why the library has given you info from a family history folder when they already had the surname as BOYD on parish maps from the 1850s ....  within their own holdings...   :) 

https://history.lakemac.com.au/page-local-history.aspx?pid=1085&vid=20&tmpt=narrative&narid=80

Early Settlers:
During the 1840's Henry Denny occupied the land owned by Boughton. Denny assisted cattle stealers.

In 1853 Thomas Boyd brought John Taaffe and his family to Lake Macquarie Heads. Taaffe selected a portion of land on a hill near Galgabba Point at the southern end of Pelican Flat. Two years later in 1855 Boyd and family settled nearby.

By 1860 a settler named Frederick Chaney had also come to the district.

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 09 March 19 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, your such a wiz, I actually spent hours looking for a sister for Charles I got so sick of it.
One last query before I go,  do you know how I can find descendants of Joseph Lewis?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Saturday 09 March 19 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, your such a wiz, I actually spent hours looking for a sister for Charles I got so sick of it.
One last query before I go,  do you know how I can find descendants of Joseph Lewis?

Start with the info about his children as per his d.c

Check this against both NSW bdm indexes and electoral rolls ....  check who inherited,  etc....   follow the lads as most often one would get the land ....   title deeds, probates, directories all have addresses, not just names ...

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Thursday 28 March 19 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am just wondering if anyone was able to find out if the mother of Thomas Boyd, Elizabeth Boyd, nee Lewis, could be the sister of Charles Lewis who died on the schooner The Maid of the Lake, in 1863.   Thomas Boyd was the nephew of Charles Lewis.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Thursday 28 March 19 06:16 GMT (UK) »

The captain of the schooner was a Thomas Boyd, he was born in 1832 at Sydney, the son of William Smith and Elizabeth Lewis.  Thomas died Aug. 1903 at Newcastle Hospital of a stroke, he was buried 2 days later at Belmont CoE Cemetery.
There is a possibility that this Elizabeth was a sister to Charles?  but that still doesn't explain why he was in Newcastle, no Mary, no Joseph,  this is why I thought he may have reoffended and been sent to Newcastle? Mary may have married George Mulhall?  but then what happened to Joseph Lewis , Mary and Charles's son? lots of speculation?
How do you know Thomas  BOYD is son of SMITH or LEWIS ....

JM

Does his d.c. give info about  himself, his descendants, his parents, .... was there a will  .... can the info on the d.c. be validated against any marriage,  or birth records,  how reliable ....  are you sure of Elizabeth LEWIS ...

JM

JM