Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18996 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
 Some questions

:) do you have Elizabeth BOYD arriving to NSW?  If so,  under what surname, what ship ?

:) did she marry in NSW,  if so does the register confirm she was LEWIS as  a spinster?

:) where and when was Thomas born?

:) did Elizabeth die in NSW ...where, when,  what info on her grave,  what info on her d.c.

:) when Thomas married,  what info on parish register about him, his parents,  and who were the witnesses ...

:)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
William Smith Boyd, the father of Thomas and William Boyd, for some reason used his fathers surname Matthew Boyd and his mothers surname Elizabeth Smith.

ADD
When and where did this William Smith BOYD marry Elizabeth LEWIS, and if married in the colony,  what information on that marriage certificate is recorded about Elizabeth (her age, her ship of arrival/born in the colony, her status widow/spinster, bond/free, permission of the governor etc etc etc)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
I have Charles Lewis D.C. unfortunately not much info. states he was a baker, age 66, born London,  no father, no mother, no marriage,  but I gather this would have been the case as the informant was the coroner, and it appears the nephew did not hang around.
Charles was buried at Camperdown Cemetery 20th Mar 1863.
I have the burial butt, which is incorrect,  Charles was described as a sailor, residence Circular Quay, age 50?
I can understand how he was described as a sailor, being the fact that he was on the Maid of The Lake,  and a sailors home was just over the road from the dead house, the age was probably hard to guess after a stroke, and we don't know long the body was kept before it was looked at? (no refrigeration) oh doesn't bear thinking about, the smell.
Very sad looks as if no one cared for this fellow?

The captain of the schooner was a Thomas Boyd, he was born in 1832 at Sydney, the son of William Smith and Elizabeth Lewis.  Thomas died Aug. 1903 at Newcastle Hospital of a stroke, he was buried 2 days later at Belmont CoE Cemetery.
There is a possibility that this Elizabeth was a sister to Charles?  but that still doesn't explain why he was in Newcastle, no Mary, no Joseph,  this is why I thought he may have reoffended and been sent to Newcastle? Mary may have married George Mulhall?  but then what happened to Joseph Lewis , Mary and Charles's son? lots of speculation?

ADD

I recall finding a Charles LEWIS in the 1850s,  he was no where near Newcastle.   Convictism had ceased in NSW in the 1840s...  The Charles LEWIS I found alive in the 1850s was in the same general area as your Joseph LEWIS ... ie the then police district of Bathurst.  I cannot find any connection between that Charles LEWIS and the one in the 1860s you have found with Thomas BOYD.

Just because that Charles LEWIS was noted as a baker, born London, does not mean that HE had arrived as a Convict to NSW back decades earlier.   He may well have arrived as a 'came free' prior to the end of NSW convictism (1840) or as garrison soldier, and stayed,  or arrived to Tasmania (VDL) or came as a migrant after say late 1820s or even arrived as recently as say 1850s with gold rushes... There is simply insufficient info on that d.c. to tie in to your Joseph. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:51 BST (UK) »
Here is cutting for Thomas BOYD's brother's death
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136110532 Newcastle Herald 31 Oct 1905

NSWBDM online deaths index has
1903, Thomas BOYD parents as William and Elizabeth #10961
1905, William BOYD parents as William and Elizabeth #  13536

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:53 BST (UK) »
Please, before you continue along any consideration re Elizabeth BOYD, can you please confirm the exact details that are recorded on the death certificate for your Joseph, particularly the exact wording of the response recorded for the heading about his mother.   I continue to be concerned. 

JM

I am concerned that the 1889 death cert for your Joseph may not actually list his mother ... please check it carefully.  You see the online index does not list his mother's given name, but instead, it lists some information about where he died, as gleaned from the actual record on which the index is based. The index is likely based on a project undertaken by experienced volunteers in the 1930s.  When preparing those indexes, when there were blanks under the usual headings, the volunteers would continue reading the registration and try to find other relevant info... hence, recording where he died. So for example, sometimes the index will have a number ... it will turn out to be the age of the person as per the registration.  Other times it will have a surname instead of a given name ... but those volunteers worked to provide clues and those clues are still helping us all today.

d.c. Joseph Lewis Senior
Additions from post
parents,  Charles Lewis and Mary Smith
marriage,  Sydney
age abt 19
list of all the children inc. Joseph 38, Mary Ann 35,Sarah 33,Charlotte 32, Elizabeth 31,Thomas 29, William 27, James 26, Susan 25,  John 23, Jane 21, Hannah 19,  Ellen 19, (twins) Hellena 16, George 13,  all living.
informant,  W Goodfellow friend Fitzgerald's Valley
cause of death apoplexy
date of burial,  1/12/1889
COE cemetery Fitzgerald's Valley
witnesses,  T Foster and W Goodfellow.

All the names of Foster, Goodfellow, Woodley are well known identities of F.V.
3 of the Lewis girls married the Woodleys.

Yes you are correct on where Fitzgerald's Valley is.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136102786 23 Dec 1905 NMH

Obit to William BOYD, mentions his late brother, Thomas, and  names his living sister as Mrs Sawyers of Bathurst, aged 87 years.  Perhaps you could look for her details too ...  1905 - 87 = 1818

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:50 BST (UK) »
I have had a quick look through my own resources,  and I think Mrs SAWYERS of Bathurst may have been the wife/widow of a William SAWYER, the undertaker there.

Perhaps her given name was Louisa ... see the following cutting ...
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111203878 24 Feb 1913 Bathurst Times.

If so, the NSW BDM has her d.c. as registered Chatswood District, and her parents as George and Elizabeth... #1393

The SMH has her burial at Gore Hill Cemetery.
 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15399569 20 Feb 1913

An obit (Keppel Street is still a significant street in Bathurst) https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111202453 21 Feb 1913 Bathurst Times

ADD,  Louisa JENKS married William SAWYER as per NSW BDM  :)  I seem to recall reading that Elizabeth LEWIS was formerly JENKS and was nee PENDERGAST but perhaps that was only on a submitted tree.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Thursday 04 April 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
 :)

Agh ...  a William BOYD, aged 33, a Bachelor of Sydney and the Paymaster for the 3rd Regiment of foot, married Elizabeth PENDERGAST who was aged 24 and a spinster.  They were married 14 October 1826, by Rev Richard Hill, St James C of E, Sydney.  Witnesses were George Gilling MILLS and Hannah JONES, both of George Street.

Marriage registered three times at NSW BDM...  :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Thursday 04 April 19 00:10 BST (UK) »
or

This marriage ...

William BOYD, bachelor of the parish of St Philips, a labourer, signed with his X mark, and Elizabeth JENKS, also of that parish, a spinster, married 22 June 1829, by Banns, Rev William Cowper.  Witnesses:  John BOYD of Sydney and Edward McROBERTS, of Sydney...

JM