Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 5000 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #216 on: Thursday 04 April 19 05:42 BST (UK) »
William Smith Boyd, the father of Thomas and William Boyd, for some reason used his fathers surname Matthew Boyd and his mothers surname Elizabeth Smith.

ADD
When and where did this William Smith BOYD marry Elizabeth LEWIS, and if married in the colony,  what information on that marriage certificate is recorded about Elizabeth (her age, her ship of arrival/born in the colony, her status widow/spinster, bond/free, permission of the governor etc etc etc)

JM

I think the following would be of interest ....  not just for the name of the deceased, but for the cemetery ... I seem to recall you mentioned that the 1863 Charles LEWIS was buried Camperdown Cemetery ... I think the following Elizabeth BOYD was also buried there....

Elizabeth BOYD of Kent Street Sydney died 5 July 1853, aged 58, buried 7 July 1853, Camperdown Cemetery.   
NSW BDM Early Church Records, 
Elizabeth BOYD  aged 58,  Line 477, Volume 39B  (C of E)  1853,   I would not anticipate ANY family history info on that ECR.  Perhaps a transcription of the headstone may hold some clues...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Thursday 04 April 19 05:47 BST (UK) »
My copy of the transcription 1889/7235,  doesn't have (died West Macquarie) under the heading for the mothers name?

The ONLINE index does have West Macquarie, and it does NOT have Mary ...  and afterall, it is the online index that is where many of those new to family history searchings would look first  :) so if you are striving to give the best opportunities to anyone who may have Joseph as their ancestor  :) then it is sensible for the index to be updated to reflect the actual record held by NSW BDM.  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Friday 05 April 19 02:34 BST (UK) »
On Family Search there is a book of the inscriptions of headstones at Camperdown
there is a record of a headstone

Erected by William Boyd  In Memory of his Mother Elizabeth Boyd died July 5th 1853 aged 58 yrs
also William John Boyd, son of the above William Boyd, died 1st March 1854 aged 10 days
also Ann Boyd died 4th July 1858 aged 3mths 14 days

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKD-VHPX?i=179&cat=258542

do know if it helps,   Cass

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Friday 05 April 19 02:43 BST (UK) »
Agh, Cass that is fantastic,  Well found.

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Friday 05 April 19 03:20 BST (UK) »
Oh Cass, just goes to show it helps if you know where to look.
I did find a photo of the headstone it was vandalised, there were two B.N. for this site,  but I could not find a copy of the transcription.
I wonder how they did it, I took a copy of the photo and enhanced on the computer and still couldn't read it.
Thanks for finding it.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Friday 05 April 19 04:16 BST (UK) »
I found the Camperdown Cemetery records on Family Search by chance last year.
I had also found a photo of a headstone at Camperdown on the Internet and could not read it due to the age of the stone.
One day I was reading a post on Rootschat where a Chatter gave details of a burial at Waverley Cemetery and I asked him where he found the information. He told me on Family Search.
It turned out that there are lots of information on Family Search that have not been indexed.  You search by PLACE and drill down and hopefully you find something on the location eg. Camperdown Cemetery or Waverley Cemetery and then manually search thru the films. I was lucky and found details at Waverley of the person who purchased  the plot where my G G G Grandfather is buried. So I then searched for Camperdown and solved a mystery where death certificates did not help.

Good luck

Cass

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Boyd
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I have just been having a look at William Smith Boyd again, and have only just noticed the following.
Re looking for Thomas Boyd the nephew of the Charles Lewis who died on the schooner the Maid of the Lake, in 1863. Thomas was the master of the Maid of the Lake.
I have been sent information and have now noticed that there has got to be some mix up with William Boyd.
1. William Boyd a convict arrived Aust. 1814 on the General Hewett. then goes on to mention that he married Elizabeth Jenks/Lewis  in June,1829 Sydney, and also continues to state his children.  Next what alerted me to something being amiss is that William and witness John Boyd were both illiterate.

2. Then I have William Boyd, who was a wealthy educated man, and part owner of the Almorah, a ship of the East India Co. William did run into some problems with the seizure of the Almorah, but that wouldn't make him illiterate? Elizabeth Jenks (a convict) was his second marriage, apparently she was the widow of George Jenks.  The first marriage was to a Margaret Mackean who he married in Calcutta in 1825, she died there in 1826.

Both these Williams were the same age, both born in Surry, both married Elizabeth Jenks same date, etc. same descendants. (William and Thomas Boyd), all from Swansea, NSW.
Somehow I think the information has been duplicated, except for their beginnings, one a convict the other a ships captain.

Both Thomas and William Boyd's births weren't registered, but I think there is sufficient evidence regarding Master's certificates, issued by the Marine Board, I don't have a copy of this.

What do you think?  I wonder if get some transcriptions, would it help?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 07:37 BST (UK) »
I have long believed that seeking out the primary source documents needs to always be a priority. I also have long believed that hand in hand with primary source documents are secondary sources that give context and understanding and commentary on primary sources.   So, for example, transcriptions of primary source documents can be very useful where it is known that the longhand script on primary source documents may be faded, ink bleeds, thumbed, torn etc.   

I think I have mentioned earlier in the thread about Elizabeth JENKS .. and I think that it may be possible that JENKS could be mis-read even by experienced transcribers ... as LEWIS or LEWIS could be mis-read for JENKS when either were recorded in longhand script from the penal eras in NSW.   BUT I notice that there's no Charles JENKS in NSW ... ie if Elizabeth and Charles were brother/sister, (as you are hoping) then I would expect to find Charles as JENKS at least once ! 

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:09 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Lewis married George Jenks. George Jenks was born in Stepney and I have also found an Elizabeth Lewis born abt 1797 Stepney,  Charles Lewis was also born Stepney abt 1799. I know it is a common name, but still worth investigating for a possible sister to Charles.

George Jenks was supposed to have died at sea, but I am not sure how to find his death yet.

I think I may get a few transcriptions for the Boyds hopefully they may give up some clues.

I will get what transcriptions I can, maybe the marriage of William Boyd and Elizabeth Jenks might tell me if she was a widow. Elizabeth Lewis was a spinster when she married George Jenks, she also was literate so that's a start.