Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19026 times)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #90 on: Friday 04 January 19 06:39 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have done all that research?  I truly cannot remember, as I have been searching this family on and off for about 6 years.  I haven't done Find my Past I know that.

Maybe it's time I did a revisit as I have more leads now, (thank you) than when I first started researching

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 04 January 19 06:40 GMT (UK) »
I seem to have missed typing up this sad item ... sorry ...

1 June 1831, private baptism by Rev Richard HILL, St James C of E
Charles, son of Charles and Mary Ann LEWIS, a baker of Castlereagh St
3 June 1831, Sydney burial Charles LEWIS, aged 3 days, burial registered Rev William COWPER, St Phillips C of E  ...
to me, that would likely be a burial at the Sandhills ie Devonshire St ...

I continue to wonder re the Presbyterian marriage for a young man in 1853 and the frequent C of E ...  I am sure that the C of E were not given priority treatment in NSW

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 05 January 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes that was sad re baby Charles.

Are you aware that a Mary Anne Lewis died the same day?
I first thought that it may have been my Mary died in childbirth?  but this was in 1831 Joseph was born in 1832.

I am sure that the convicts were given preferential treatment to become CoE,  reading a lot about the transportation journeys and all their prayer books etc.

I also have read a letter re a young 14y/o convict, it is so sad, but also it is quiet amusing.
It was to the colonial sec. where he describes that he knows there is a supreme being, and he trembles at the mention of his name.  It goes on to ask that he be transferred from Emu Plains,  and guess what it worked, he was sent to Carters Barracks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 05 January 19 03:15 GMT (UK) »
yes, that lad converted from the Jewish faith.   :)   

Re C of E ... I am sure that at no stage was the C of E ever appointed as the EstablishED Church for any of the colonies that became Australia. 

NSW Archives points to formal commencement for bdm events  https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-guide but I am sure I have mentioned that all clergy from every denomination were expected to obey the civil admin's General Orders from 1810 as proclaimed by Lachlan Macquarie.     Macquarie was instrumental for example in having Roman Catholic priests sent out to formalise that denomination's foundations in NSW ... Some of my ancestors were in the 48th regiment of foot and that regiment had a large contingent of rank and file Irish  :)   

Also, we need to remember that those early parish registers for St James C of E and for St Phillips C of E contain entries for ceremonies that were conducted by clergy of various denominations, not just C of E ....  :)  So for example, several of my ancestors were Wesleyans and their baptisms are found in Rev William Cowper's C of E registers with note 'transmitted from XYZ ...' and the date... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 05 January 19 03:31 GMT (UK) »

Are you aware that a Mary Anne Lewis died the same day?
I first thought that it may have been my Mary died in childbirth?  but this was in 1831 Joseph was born in 1832. ...
NOPE,  I am not aware that a Mary Anne LEWIS died same day as the wee baby Charles LEWIS ...
1 June 1831, private baptism by Rev Richard HILL, St James C of E
Charles, son of Charles and Mary Ann LEWIS, a baker of Castlereagh St
3 June 1831, Sydney burial Charles LEWIS, aged 3 days, burial registered Rev William COWPER, St Phillips C of E  ...
to me, that would likely be a burial at the Sandhills ie Devonshire St ... ....

I am aware of a Mary LEWIS (NO second given name) was buried Wilberforce 7 June 1831 by Rev Meares who recorded and that she was aged 27 and was born in the colony ...

I also doubt that would be your lass - not least that a mum succumbing so close to her own wee baby would likely be buried with that baby ... 

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 05 January 19 03:48 GMT (UK) »
I didn't think she was my Mary, but just goes to show how many coincidences there are with common names.
I just subscribed to the Biographical Data Base, hoping maybe I can find some info.

Getting back to the Charles Lewis re offender, is there anywhere online that I can access if he was sent to Port Macquarie?

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 13 January 19 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,
Still wading through all the info provided by you wonderful people.

Just thinking re Mary Ann and George Mulhall.

A Mary Ann Smith married George Mulhall in 1835,  also her sister Elizabeth married George's brother William.

I have read a lot of stories on George Mulhall re Pittwater Online News History, they have Mary Ann's parents as William and Sarah the same as my Mary Ann who married Charles Lewis, I wonder are they just guessing who her parents were?

Is it possible that this is the same Mary Ann?  Can she marry under her maiden name of Smith?
from what I gather she was pregnant when she was married.

This is all speculation,  maybe Charles was sent to Port Macquarie re 2nd offender?  I have not been able to check this? but it could explain why he seemed to be alone? and lived in Newcastle.

That still wouldn't explain what happened to their son Joseph Lewis?

Still going through the Biographical Database this takes awhile, unfortunately not much on the Mulhalls.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 13 January 19 04:07 GMT (UK) »
I have been pondering the same thing,  mainly because of this:

RE-INTERMENTS from Devonshire Street Cemetery in 1901:
The following were transferred to Bunnerong, Section 5N, Plot 105,
Emma GALLIOTT died 12th December 1837 aged 11 months.
Emma READ, cousin of the above, died 24th November 1837 aged I year & 9 mths
Joseph, son of Thomas & Charlotte GALLIOTT, died 24th March 1841 aged 6 years.
also Charlotte, wife of Thomas GALLIOTT, died 5th April 1841 aged 27 years
Mary Ann BAXTER, died 11th April 1841 aged 11 years.
Mrs Sarah GALLIOTT, wife of Mr William GALLIOTT, died 22nd April 1855 aged 71 years.

JM

I believe Emma was the daughter of William MULHALL/REID and Elizabeth SMITH.  William was going by the name READ/REED/REID at the time.

Debra  :)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 13 January 19 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes there does seem to be some connection.

I did contact Newcastle Family History but apparently there were many Charles Lewis's.

We are skirting around the edge of the circle,  I wonder what's in the centre?

Do you know if Mary could  have remarried under her maiden name Smith? Would she have been allowed to?  Is there anywhere you know of that I could find this information?  I am in Brisbane.
I wonder if a marriage cert. for George and Mary Anne in 1835 might have some details.

I think George Mulhall was Irish Roman Catholic. Patrick was his father, an Irish convict.

Add,  golly reading the dates on  the reinterments, must have been a bad year 1841?  it is the same year that a Sarah Smith on the Aeolus died?