Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18961 times)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Smith
« on: Friday 21 December 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could help?
I am searching for an ancestor, what a wonderful name to be searching.
She was convicted at The Old Bailey on the 2/12/1812, and transported on the Broxbornebury arriving Australia 1814.
I am terribly confused, trying  to confirm that she was on the Brox.
I have some research stating that a Sarah Blades came on this vessel arrival 1814,  she came free and apparently married a George Smith in Sydney in 1818 I think?
I am wondering if there was a Sarah Blades and a Sarah Smith on this voyage?  I have not been able to find where Sarah Smith was between 1812 (her conviction)  and 1814 (her arrival in Sydney). 
Hoping someone can help with this?  I know it's a big search area with such a common name.
Cheers

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
From NSW State Arcives & Records:

SMITH Sarah Broxbornebury 1814 25/405 Ticket of Leave [4/4060; Reel 890] District: Melville; Born: Herts 1785;

Her TOL cancelled in 1831, 1st column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12843013

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:05 GMT (UK) »
The only Sarah Blades:

IRELAND, John Ship:Ann and Amelia Age: 29; Sentence: Life; Condition: Bond to BLADES, Sarah A   - -   Age: 18; Born in colony; Condition: Free 6 Oct 1826 COWPER, Revd William Sydney NRS 12212 [4/4511 p.018] no.209; Reel 714; Fiche 789-790

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Blades’ marriages:

2071/1817 V18172071 3A HARRIS Joseph BLADES Esther CA

2190/1818 V18182190 3A SMITH George BLADES Sarah CA

3922/1826 V18263922 3B IRELAND John BLADES Sarah A CA

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Sarah BLADES  :)

Colonial Sec papers 1788-1825

Letter May 4, 5 in 1818
Sarah BLADES, widow of Thomas BLADES seeking permission to marry George SMITH at Sydney.  Sarah Blades noted as Came Free, Broxbornebury 1814.

:) so that's NOT her maiden surname :D   I have seen BLAYDE and other variations too. 

There's several hundred lasses 'Sarah SMITH' on the Biographical Database of Australia  :) (a non-profit project) ...  the index is free to search, and the annual fee for full access is $30. 
  https://www.bda-online.org.au/
and the Col Sec papers:
 http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/ 
I understand Ancestry has uploaded images of many of  those  :)

Mention of Sarah BLADES on this website, as came free with her 3 children to meet up with her husband, a convict ... https://www.jenwilletts.com/convict_ship_broxbornebury_1814.htm

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thomas died 1815:

3339/1815 V18153339 2B BLADE Thomas AGE 34

Added: A son: 3659/1815 V18153659 1B BLADES Thomas parents THOMAS and SARAH

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Sarah SMITH,  Col Sec Papers  :)

SMITH, Sarah Per Broxbornebury, 1814
1825  Servant of Captain John Piper; testimony as to her character for a ticket of leave (Reel 6027; 4/1717.1 pp.126-7)
John Piper was the Royal Navy chap after whom the exclusive suburb of Point Piper takes its name.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:43 GMT (UK) »
JM, if her TOL was cancelled in 1831 as Sarah Smith, does that mean she was still unmarried.

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:51 GMT (UK) »
JM, if her TOL was cancelled in 1831 as Sarah Smith, does that mean she was still unmarried.

Jamjar

I am wondering if there's a female convict and also a convict's wife with three children, on the voyage out...  Sarah, UX of Thomas BLADES ... seems from one of those links I posted that Thomas was on the Surry, same timeframe as his wife and children...

I am wondering why a ToL was cancelled in 1831 when the female was transported back in 1814 ... very very long sentence ... I have not sighted the ToL - not on my usual puter but a ToL should show the name of the ship of arrival, and also should be written up with the same name as arrived under,  not written up with a changed name    ::)   - of course there are possible exceptions ...but usually the paperwork will be written up to match the convict indent held by penal Admin...  :D .

So very many lasses indexed as Sarah SMITH in the penal era....  hundreds ...

JM