Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18848 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2200430  Sydney Gaz,  May 1831

Not attending Muster

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes her details are in reply #1.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 December 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Smith, convicted Old Bailey as per this link:  (confirms our OP's info)
http://www.historyaustralia.org.au/twconvic/Broxbornebury+1814

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 December 18 08:00 GMT (UK) »
LIFE for pick pocketing ... wow ... now if only I could recover some of the many pens nicked off my desk by clients, business partner/spouse ...   :)

JM  :D  :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 December 18 08:03 GMT (UK) »
So the Sarah who married George SMITH in 1818 was NOT the Sarah who was transported under the sentence of Life.  The Sarah who married George SMITH in 1818 was a widow with young children. 

:)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 December 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
 :D
27 May 1818, marriage C of E, Rev William Cowper
George SMITH, aged 38, a bachelor, of Sydney, a Shoemaker (he signed)
and
Sarah BLADES, aged 35, a widow, of Sydney (she made her X mark)
Witnesses William Brown (X mark)
Mary Tristram (signed)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 December 18 08:43 GMT (UK) »
She was convicted at The Old Bailey on the 2/12/1812, and transported on the Broxbornebury ....  I have not been able to find where Sarah Smith was between 1812 (her conviction)  and 1814 (her arrival in Sydney). 

So you are looking for Sarah 2 December 1812 to 22 February 1814...
....  She was transported to Port Jackson (Sydney New South Wales) per the Broxbornebury which sailed 22 February 1814, arriving 28 July 1814

Old Bailey ... so you are looking for where the female convicts sentenced to transportation beyond the seas were held prior to their actual transportation... Old Bailey ... London Central Criminal Court...

fingers crossed this may help  :)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/criminal-trials-assize-courts-1559-1971/

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 December 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your reply, Yes I must be stupid to try and research Sarah Smith
I think I can remember reading something a while ago in Trove that she did not turn up for the convict muster, oh just noticed Jamjar beat me to it.  I never noticed her TOL was cancelled.
I wonder who this Sarah Blades is that is mentioned in the Colonial Sec. Papers of Sarah Blades came free on the Broxbornebury? so these are 2 different people?
To go a step further I am trying to find if this Sarah Smith is the one that married a Thomas Weavers? in 1833

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 December 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
JM,  do you know how to use the National Archives UK,  I have never been able to get into it?