Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18958 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 23 December 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us some information about your Mary Ann SMITH?  Where and when did she die, and how do you know her parents were William SMITH and Sarah LAKE?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 23 December 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
.... dearly beloved mother of the late Mrs. W. Mulhall, sen., of Harris-street, Pyrmont

MULHALL - November 20, at her residence, Harris-street, Pyrmont, Elizabeth, the beloved wife of Captain Mulhall, after eighteen months painful suffering, which she bore without a murmur, leaving two daughters, one son, and seven grandchildren to mourn the loss of a loving mother and grandmother ; the youngest daughter of Mrs. Weavers, of Bathurst, and only sister of Mrs. George Mulhall, sen., in her 58th year, loved by all near and dear to her. She calmly fell asleep in Jesus.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13336881

Debra  :D

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
The baptism of Charles and Mary Ann's son Joseph LEWIS in 1832 has been missed from the NSW online indexes.  You can contact them and ask for it to be added.  I believe the number would be 455/1832 V1832455 16

The email address is here under 'Family History Enquiries'

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/contact-us/contact-us-bdm.aspx#Emailus

Debra  :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 23 December 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I am on e reader, sorry for bulk quotes and my thoughts in the middle of them ... but basically who is the last confirmed ancestor,  so we can help you to work through the dilemma ....

ADD,  modifying, an hour or so after originally posting ... as I am on puter now.

JM

Well  found Debra.

Sasarina,  please read back through the thread and consider ...
Are you sure  that Charles LEWIS is your ancestor.... if so then his wife, Mary Ann,  does  not seem to be a daughter of the Sarah WEAVERS who died in Bathurst 1876. 

Debra has asked
Can you give us some information about your Mary Ann SMITH?  Where and when did she die, and how do you know her parents were William SMITH and Sarah LAKE?

Debra  :)

We can help once we have some answers to those questions 

;)
JM.

My Mary Ann Smith was born in 1815 to a William Smith and a Sarah. possibly Sarah Lake, Sarah's
Father John Lake born abt 1760 in Devon, mother Susannah Eales born abt 1760 Buckfastleigh, Devon.

Mary Ann married Charles Lewis in 1830,  Charlotte, her sister, was a witness along with Thomas Galliott.
The following year 1831 Charlotte married Thomas Galliott and Charles Lewis was a witness along with Thomas's mother, I have no issue with these records.

This is where I am confused, because this Sarah Lake was born Devon, she was convicted at Devon Quarter Sessions
She was abt 16y/o and was transported on the Aeolus arrival 26th Jan, 1809, none of this seems to marry up with the death cert. of Sarah Weavers?

I am trying to confirm who married this Thomas Weavers? (is he my ancestor)

There is an obituary for Sarah Weavers death Bathurst 1876, once again does not marry up to Sarah Lake

copyright image removed
[/quote

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 24 December 18 00:12 GMT (UK) »
St James C of E, Sydney NSW register
(entry number should be 598)
Joseph, son of Charles and Mary Ann LEWIS, baker of Pitt Street, Sydney was born 29 July 1832 and baptised by Rev Richard HILL, 19 August 1832.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 24 December 18 04:05 GMT (UK) »
still not joining the dots to Sarah WEAVERS at Bathurst....  :(

MARRIAGE, St James C of E, by Rev Richard HILL, 1 January 1830
John SMITH, aged 19, bachelor, born in the Colony, abode Sydney, a farmer, signed X and Sarah WATSON, aged 26, spinster, per Princess Royal of 1827, abode Sydney, signed X
Married by Banns with consent of Governor and Guardian.
Witnesses: Thomas GALLIOTT of Castlereagh St, (he signed), and Charlotte SMITH of Pitt St, (signed X)

MARRIAGE, St James C of E, by Rev Richard HILL, 22 June 1831
Thomas GALLIOTT, aged 20, bachelor, came free per Friendship 1818, abode of this parish, Cabinetmaker, signed and Charlotte SMITH, aged 19, Spinster, abode of this parish, signed x
married with Consent of their PARENTS. 
Witnesses: Charles LEWIS of Castlereagh St, signed and Sarah GALLIOTT of Castlereagh St, signed X

RE-INTERMENTS from Devonshire Street Cemetery in 1901:
The following were transferred to Bunnerong, Section 5N, Plot 105,
Emma GALLIOTT died 12th December 1837 aged 11 months.
Emma READ, cousin of the above, died 24th November 1837 aged I year & 9 mths
Joseph, son of Thomas & Charlotte GALLIOTT, died 24th March 1841 aged 6 years.
also Charlotte, wife of Thomas GALLIOTT, died 5th April 1841 aged 27 years

Mary Ann BAXTER, died 11th April 1841 aged 11 years.
Mrs Sarah GALLIOTT, wife of Mr William GALLIOTT, died 22nd April 1855 aged 71 years.

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 24 December 18 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Firstly I would like to thank everyone and wish you a Merry Christmas.

I don't want to make this too long a story,  I have 2 x A4 files full of paperwork on my Lewis/Smith ancestors, I have been working on this for abt 5 years, so I will try to keep to the basics.

Susannah Lewis was my grandmother, she was born 1864, Bathurst,  the daughter of Joseph Lewis and Jane Lewis, nee Noble, Joseph Lewis was born to Charles Lewis and Mary Ann Smith in 1832, I have the transcriptions for Joseph's birth.  Jane Noble immigrated from Ireland in 1852 on the David Mciver, also have the paperwork for this, I have not been able to trace her parents in Ireland, they were both deceased when she immigrated.

Some of the research has been based on previous research by a direct ancestor of the Smith and also a direct ancestor of the Lewis clan. I have a book that was written about 30 years ago on the Lewis family from Fitzgerald's Valley.  There is a plaque erected at Fitzgerald's Valley dedicated to the Lewis Family,  I think because of the commonality of the names there has been plenty of errors.  The book begins with Charles Lewis the convict.  I have not been able to trace Mary Ann due to the number of them it would take me years. I do have a lot of certs. but because they are early church records unfortunately they are lacking the vital information.

Charles Lewis was a convict transported on the Neptune, he was a baker. There is confusion on which Neptune he arrived 1818 or 1820 the English records 1820 the Australian 1818?  I have heaps of records on this including the surgeons jnl. and all the other Charles Lewis convicts which I have eliminated.
Many researchers have Sarah Lake as the spouse of Thomas Weavers, but as I explained the Death Cert. and Obt. of Sarah Weavers does not marry up with Sarah Lake, I have a copy of the death cert and the Obt for Sarah Weavers.  There does seem to be some connection with the Weavers and Smith family? but I have not been able to sort it out?
The 1828 census prospect, list all Sarah Lake,( Aeolus) and William Smiths children also Thomas Weavers,  William was in care at this time he died in 1829.
Please let me know if you need more info as I have heaps on the computer.
Oh you just beat me to it, Sorry I do have all the info re the Galliotts,  Don't know about John Smith? are we adding another Sarah? looks interesting.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 24 December 18 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Christmas Greetings ...  here's another Sarah SMITH, with a connection to a Thomas WEAVERS who was of Sydney...  remember there's a number of chaps by that name in NSW in that era.   Prospect was Central Cumberland, and not Sydney Town...  :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230389416  NSW Government Gazette  5 December 1832, Issue 40, page 444
RETURN OF FEMALE CONVICTS ASSIGNED AND TRANSFERRED IN SEPTEMBER, 1832.

1570. Smith Sarah, Princess Charlotte, house servant, to Thomas Weavers, Sydney.

JM   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 24 December 18 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Golly, I don't know how you find this info,  I thought I was a pretty good sleuth.
I think maybe we are looking for another Thomas Weavers, and all the indicators pointed to the one at Bathurst because all the Lewis clan lived there, but maybe they moved there later on.