Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18997 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #45 on: Monday 24 December 18 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Is this your LEWIS family?

And you are researching the origins of Joseph and Jane?

3382/1854 V18543382 40   LEWIS  Mary A      parents -  / Jane   
4593/1857 LEWIS  Charlotte                           parents Joseph / Jane   @ Bathurst
4794/1862 LEWIS  William T J                        parents Joseph / Jane   @ Bathurst
5163/1863 LEWIS  James                               parents Joseph / Jane   @ Bathurst
5410/1865 LEWIS  Susannah                          parents Joseph / Jane   @ Bathurst
5634/1866 LEWIS  John H                              parents Joseph / Jane   @ Bathurst
6030/1868 LEWIS  Jane                                 parents Joseph / Jane   @ Bathurst
6269/1870 LEWIS  Hannah                             parents Joseph / Jane    @ Bathurst
6270/1870 LEWIS  Ellen                                 parents Joseph / Jane    @ Bathurst
7208/1873 LEWIS  Eleanor Helmore                parents Joseph / Jane   @ Bathurst
7504/1876 LEWIS  George Arthur                   parents Joseph / Janes  @ Bathurst

Your direct ancestor is Susannah , b. 1865?

You seem to have gathered a lot of information about this family. It is difficult for a forum to use your information without knowing how it was sourced.

What certificates do you have for BDM events in the lives of the people named.

I mean certificates that you have in front of you, not reference to information that other researchers have passed on to you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 24 December 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Marriage St James C of E, Sydney by Rev Richard HILL, after banns called  2 May, 1830, 9 May,1830, 16 May, 1830. 
Charles LEWIS, bachelor, per Neptune, Free, aged 26, of Sydney, a baker and Mary Ann SMITH, spinster, 16, of Sydney, born in the colony, Mary Ann SMITH’s mother gave consent.  Charles signed, Mary Ann made her mark.
Witnesses: Thomas GALLIOT of Castlereagh St, signed and Charlotte SMITH of Castlereagh St made her mark.
NOTE, when Charlotte SMITH married Thomas GALLIOTT, I seem to recall that both her PARENTS (plural) gave consent.   As our OP has given us that William SMITH died 1829 … it seems to me that there’s possibly several SMITH families in Sydney and in Prospect and elsewhere in NSW in the 1820s and into the 1830s with mum as Sarah and with her children named John, Charlotte, Mary Ann and others.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Re Sarah LAKE

John, son of William SMITH and Sarah LAKE, born January 1811, baptised April 1811 St Johns C of E, Parramatta.

Check for quick decipher as per attached, if I have read year and mum's name ... then cannot be anyone off the 1814 Broxbournebury. 

Not for profit database, an ongoing project, Biographical Database of Australia ... index searches no charge,  subscription fee $30 p.a.  https://www.bda-online.org.au/about-us/about-bda/ 
- search for Sarah SMITH and look at the one who was a regular as a witness for marriages conducted by Rev Richard HILL, at St James C of E (that's right in Sydney CBD, opp the Barracks, adjacent Hyde Park) :D  or her likely daughters Charlotte, Elizabeth, Mary SMITH  :)  I am wondering if that would be the SMITH family known to and marrying into GALLIOTT and LEWIS. - So perhaps setting aside the PROSPECT family which may or may not be Sarah LAKE ...   What do you think? It means you may need to start over searching for your Mary Ann SMITH/Mrs Charles LEWIS ...

City of Sydney Assessment Books
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 02:55 GMT (UK) »
  JM,
I don't know what to think re my Smith/Lewis ancestors?  I know it puts my head in a spin, I feel like I am losing the plot.

A lot of people have  Sarah Lake as married to Thomas Weavers?  after William Smith died. I think this is incorrect,  what I think according to the obt and the death cert of Sarah Weavers, states that Sarah was from Hertfordshire, and dates match, that's why I can't get it out of head that this Sarah Weavers is from the Broxbornebury.  I know you found William Sherries married a Sarah from the Brox. I wonder if we are dealing with more than one Thomas Weavers?

I think that Sarah Lake and William Smith are the parents of the Mary Ann Smith who married Charles Lewis, unfortunately the birth certs. for Mary A, Charlotte, James, and the rest of the tribe only state parents as William and Sarah, but the dates seem to fit. Charlotte, sister to Mary A married Thomas Galliott and Charles Lewis and Charlotte's mother were witness. Thomas Galliott and Charlotte were witness to Charles and Mary A's marriage only her mother gave permission.

Wivenhoe
Yes that is my Lewis Family, and Susannah is my grandmother. I do not have any issues with Jane Lewis (nee Noble) and Joseph Lewis descendants, only the ancestors.

I have given up on finding Jane Noble's parents, as explained, she immigrated from Dublin in 1851 on the David McIvor, both parents John and Martha already deceased.  I have read some articles that she was born in Enniskillen?  I have her marriage and death cert no parents mentioned.
I have a death cert  for a Charles Lewis, Baker, but has no info. regarding parents.

So really the only details I have are from the descendants of the Lewis clan of Fitzgerald's Valley, I feel someone must have known something about the ancestors, because you wouldn't just pick out one Charles Lewis from the Neptune from the many Charles Lewis convicts as being Joseph Lewis father?  but as far as having any direct evidence I am at a loss. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 04:08 GMT (UK) »
There is an obituary for Sarah Weavers death Bathurst 1876, once again does not marry up to Sarah Lake

WEAVERS - July 21, at her residence, Stewart-street, Bathurst, Mrs. Weavers, relict of the late J. Weavers, Esq., dearly beloved mother of the late Mrs. W. Mulhall, sen., of Harris-street, Pyrmont, leaving three sons and one surviving daughter, Mrs. George Mulhall sen., Broken Bay Lighthouse, and eighty grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great great-grand-children, in her 91st year ; seventy-one years in the colony, beloved by all that was near and dear to her and all that knew her.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13378372

This Sarah's daughter Mary Ann SMITH married George MULHALL in 1835 so it appears that she is not the mother of your Mary Ann.

Debra  :D

Can you give us some information about your Mary Ann SMITH?  Where and when did she die, and how do you know her parents were William SMITH and Sarah LAKE?

Debra  :)

Do you have the death certificate for your Charles LEWIS, if so who was the informant, and when/where is he buried?    What details did the informant give about him, his origins/parents, his marriage, his children?

Do you have the death certificate for your Mary Ann LEWIS, , if so who was the informant, and when/where is she buried?    What details did the informant give about her, her origins/parents, her marriage, her children?

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 05:09 GMT (UK) »
New South Wales Electoral Roll 1870 BATHURST
David LEWIS, George Street, qualified to enrol by residence
Joseph LEWIS, William Street, qualified to enrol by leasehold
Joseph LEWIS, Howick Street, qualified to enrol by household
Thomas G WEAVERS, of Fitzgerald Swamp, qualified to enrol by freehold at Brilliant Street

NSW ER 1878 BATHURST
William LEWIS, residence, Piper St
Peter J LEWIS, residence, Howick St

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 05:45 GMT (UK) »
I  have a transcription for Mary A Smith, born 1815,  Parramatta, parents William Smith and Sarah, V 1815936 148, baptism record states same parents,  registered Samuel Marsden. Unfortunately I have not been able to trace Mary Ann from her marriage, there are so many Mary A Lewis.

The same can be said for Charles Lewis, absolutely no info. much on his death cert., no parents, no marriage details, the informant was the coroner at the time. the ref is 1863/458.
This death of a Charles Lewis, the baker, died 17/03/1863 on board the Maid of the Lake Schooner, age 66, opens up a whole new world of inconsistencies. The death was registered on the 31/03/1863.
There is a coroner's report at the Observer Hotel, re his death, he was being taken to hospital in Sydney by his nephew, who was captain of the Schooner, Thomas Boyd, from Newcastle, he died while crossing Lake Macquarie. The death cert states buried at Camperdown Cemetery 20/03/1863.
I have the burial butt which adds to the confusion, the particulars are, he was a Sailor, residence Circular Quay, age 50.
I have done some research on the Observer Hotel, there was a sailors home over the road from the Observer.  I can understand the confusion thinking he was a sailor as he died on the schooner, but I cannot understand the 16 years age difference.

The Boyd's were very well known in Swansea, there is a connection with a Lewis family.
Elizabeth Lewis from London, she was transported to NSW  (possible sister of Charles Lewis) married a George Jenks in England, then a William Boyd in 1829 NSW, William Boyd was Thomas's father.

I hope this makes sense to you?  the trouble is I think all this info is circumstantial, and I have spent years on my very elusive ancestors.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 06:00 GMT (UK) »
There were two Joseph Lewis that I know about in Bathurst.
My Joseph Lewis that married Jane Noble,  and a Joseph Lewis that married a Sarah Hockey she committed  suicide by taking poison.  Joseph her spouse died 1872, he was an Innkeeper.

There are still some of the Lewis clan in the Bathurst area.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Re that 1815 birth for Mary A SMITH ...  what date for birth and what date for baptism?  As far as I am aware, all the St Johns C of E baptisms for 1815 are readily available online via Ancestry. 

I am sure that the Mary Ann who married Charles LEWIS was sister to Charlotte, and that their mum was Sarah, BUT I am not at all convinced that Mary Ann, and Charlotte were of that SMITH family at Prospect in  1828. 

I think both Mary Ann and Charlotte were with their mum in Sydney Town  :)  .... The Sarah Smith on the 1828 Census at Prospect signed that record with her X mark.   The Sarah Smith attending St James C of E when Rev William Cowper and then when Richard Hill were conducting weddings there, signed the register with her signature...  and seems to have been of Castlereagh Street  :)

ADD ... to clarify  :-[  :-[  she signed the register with her signature, as one of the regular WITNESSES to quite a number of marriages at St James...   

JM