Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19059 times)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann born Mar/1815,  Bapt  14/05/1815

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »

NSM BDM marriage
25/1853 V185325 81     LEWIS   Joseph   m.    NOBLE Jane          @    JG
Who are the witnesses on this record. Do Joseph and Jane sign their names?

Is this the death of your Joseph LEWIS -
7235/1889 LEWIS  Joseph   parents Charles / -    died West Macquarie
Can you please list all the information on this certificate....everything please including the name of informant.

From the death certificate for Jane LEWIS nee NOBLE -
Can you please list all the information on this certificate....everything please including the name of informant.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Wivenhoe,
I will get in touch later have to go.
But a quick answer, Jane and Joseph were both literate.
Yes the Joseph died 1889 is my Joseph
There is a lot of info re Janes death c.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Re the Baptism for Mary Ann SMITH at St Johns C of E 1815...
Mary Ann born Mar/1815,  Bapt  14/05/1815

Rev Samuel MARSDEN's register can be quite helpful  :)  look at the entry immediately before and the one immediately after the one for Mary Ann's baptism, and at the entire page as one image.

So there's Elizabeth, daughter of Stephen Parker and Harriet his wife, and in the margin he has also written 7 Hills....   

Then there's Mary Ann Daugher of William Smith and Sarah his Wife, was born March 1815 and Christened May 14, 1815, Registered Same day by me Samuel Marsden ... (nothing in margin)

Then there's Isaac, son of William Barran and Ann Huby was born 1 Nov 1814 and Christened May 14, 1815 .....

Notice
* that Samuel Marsden wrote his entries up on the same day he conducted those ceremonies... so are likely to be reliable info.
* that Samuel Marsden could not establish that Isaac's mum and dad were formally married to each other
* notice that Samuel Marsden was convinced that Elizabeth's mum and dad were formally married to each other
* notice that Samuel Marsden was convinced that Mary Ann's mum and dad were formally married to each other.
* notice that Samuel Marsden recorded 7 Hills .... as in Seven Hills district ... but did NOT record a locality for most on that page ... so likely they were locals to St Johns C of E...
* notice further down the page is a baptism and a margin note 'Parramatta'
* remember that Samuel Marsden was one of the NSW Chaplains, and therefore was required to receive transmitted records of baptisms, marriages, burials conducted by other clergy (and not just by C of E clergy either) and record them in his registers as per one of the General Orders issued by the then NSW governor, Lachlan Macquarie...  So Samuel Marsden would have reliable records showing marriages conducted by a) himself  b) other C of E clergy  c) other clergy.   
* Samuel Marsden was one of the clergy who declined to marry couples if they had a prior marriage ... despite Lachlan Macquarie being very concerned about cohabitation...
So, the lass born March 1815, baptised  14 May 1815 was perhaps local to St Johns C of E, and her parents were a married couple, but as to her mum's nee name ...  sorry, it may not be noted anywhere.   She may have been baptised 7 Hills, or perhaps not...

Trove :
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/627934 Sydney Gaz 24 Feb 1810
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/628068 Sydney Gaz 15 Sept 1810
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/628150 Sydney Gaz 22 Dec 1810

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
I think Wivenhoe is on the right tack,  sort out Joseph's generation, before moving back to his parents' generation, and don't even venture to Mary Ann SMITH's parents' generation until more has been found re Joseph's parents...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 08:42 GMT (UK) »
......I feel someone must have known something about the ancestors, because you wouldn't just pick out one Charles Lewis from the Neptune from the many Charles Lewis convicts as being Joseph Lewis father? 

The marriage tells you that he arrived on the Neptune and that he was a baker.

Marriage St James C of E, Sydney by Rev Richard HILL, after banns called  2 May, 1830, 9 May,1830, 16 May, 1830. 
Charles LEWIS, bachelor, per Neptune, Free, aged 26, of Sydney, a baker and Mary Ann SMITH, spinster, 16, of Sydney, born in the colony.....

As explained on your thread about Charles LEWIS there was only one who arrived on the Neptune in any year:

Charles Lewis, trial date 26th May 1819, stole a great coat, transported on Neptune I (2), arrived 16 July 1820. Free certificate (with matching trial date) says native place Chelmsford, baker, blind in right eye......

I can't see a Charles Lewis on the 1818 Neptune voyage but I can see variation in the muster and census records for the arrival years stated for both of the convicts above, so I believe that errors were made that led to confusion.

You cannot expect the records to be completely accurate with dates as the establishment often had as much trouble as we do with keeping track of convicts and the many voyages of the same convict ships.

If 1820 is correct it would make all the research done by the Lewis family as incorrect? as they have erected a plaque in Fitzgeralds valley which is near Bathurst as him arriving on the 1818 voyage.

If they had checked they would have found that there was no Charles LEWIS on the 1818 voyage, and as he was tried in 1819 he cannot have arrived earlier.

Debra  :D

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you I was pretty sure he arrived on the 1820 Neptune.

I have heaps of info on Charles Lewis the baker arrived on the Neptune 1820, because I wanted to double check re the mix up with the English and Australian records.

He was born in Stepney, London abt 1798, and lived about 5 mins away from the scene of the crime, which makes sense.

He was transferred to the prison hulk the Justitia at Woolwich.

Then the prisoners were picked up by the Neptune.

I have a copy of the surgeons journal which describes the condition of Charles Lewis eyes throughout the journey.  His cornea in the right eye ruptured which explains why he was blind in the right eye, which married up with his TOL.  the only thing I did not understand was the native place listed as Chelmsford?

Add I also have the goalers reports from Newgate

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Charles would have given the information about his birthplace, so he believed he was born in Chelmsford (Essex).

Debra  :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
What's odd about Chelmsford?

JM