Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18963 times)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #99 on: Monday 21 January 19 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Need some help please.
I can't find the memorial for the Galliott's?
On the Biographical Data Base site states there is a monument alter fair, in the COE section

Add.. sorry forgot to mention refer post 97

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 04 February 19 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I have been trying to find a death certificate for Charlotte Galliott nee Smith death 1841 and came across these Deaths listed on BDM NSW.

Galliott Chariotte…. died 1841 age 29, which makes her DOB 1812 this is correct.
Galliott Joseph …., died 1841 infant.

I realise the spelling is incorrect,  but could this be the Charlotte Smith that married Thomas Galliott.
Did she die in childbirth?

The re-interments from Devonshire St Cemetery have a Joseph Galliott  died 1841, age 6yo.
Charlotte's death is the same year on both records.
Are there two Thomas and Charlotte Galliott's?
What do you think?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 04 February 19 06:16 GMT (UK) »
No death certs until civil registration commenced in 1856,  and the Early Church Records (V series) are only burial records,  and many are not listed at NSW bdm.  Burial info is scant on those ECR ... and unlikely to help link Charlotte to Joseph's mum.

On the other hand,  Galliott is an unusual surname,  and City of Sydney has uploaded the assessment books from 1842 to recent times ... how many times can you find two separate chaps with his name in Sydney in the same year .... that could help confirm how many there were .... assessment books include the occupier, renter,  leasee, owner, landlord etc ... at one time the council rates were payable by the occupier.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 04 February 19 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, I will have a look at this.
These dates are after Charlotte and Josephs death does this matter?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 04 February 19 07:24 GMT (UK) »
If you find two chaps named Thomas Galliott in Sydney on the same 1840s  rates book,  then we need to check further. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have looked at the Assessment Books.
There are quiet a few Galliott's

I have a Thos Galliott  year 1845, Ward Macquarie, Castlereagh St.  as the owner or landlord,  the rated person has a different name,   rate books 4-5-6-7-8-9.
Next
Thomas Galliott,  year 1848,  Ward Macquarie,  Castlereagh St.,  rate book 14, house no#152,  he is the rated person,  different owner named.

Also same year, ward, and St.   rate book 15,  house no# 153,  he is the owner and the rated person.
Next
Thomas galliott,  year 1858,  Ward Cook,  Exeter Place, rate books 16-17-18-19  he is the owner,  the rated person is a different name.

All the buildings were listed as houses

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 02:46 GMT (UK) »
So in 1845, just the one chap found names Thomas Galliott ... suggesting there's just the one head of a household in Sydney in that year by that name...

Likely that's the same chap in 1848 ...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 02:59 GMT (UK) »
An alternative spelling of his surname

According to the NSW Archives ONLINE index for Publican’s Licences

Thomas GALLICOTT or GALLIOTT operated a Pub from at least 1833 to at least 1836 at Campbell and Castlereagh Streets, Sydney … The Currency Lass.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/publicans-and-innkeepers/indexes

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 04:55 GMT (UK) »
I am fairly sure there is only ONE Thomas GALLIOTT in this quest  ;D please check my logic ...

Thomas married Charlotte Smith in 1831, Thomas was recorded as a Cabinet maker, and of course there's nothing to stop a cabinet maker becoming a publican ...

Anyways, here’s one of their children

Emma Eliza , born and baptised St Lawrence Sept 1839, parents as Thomas and Charlotte GALLIOTT https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT6V-MVP and https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCF-DQH 

Charlotte died April 1841 and is buried Devonshire St Cemetery, which was where Central Station now stands. NSW BDM do not seem to have the ECR for that burial, but there is one for an infant, 1841, Joseph GALLIOTT, Volume 25B, so C of E … Infant, in that era, an Infant in NSW law could be any person not yet of full age.  And the headstone has this Joseph as aged 6 years ... nothing amiss there...

ADD see next post,  too...  ::) Charlotte's burial found by our OP .... My  specs ... how could I ... sorry for my mistooken ...

Christ Church St Lawrence is still where it was back in 1839 … and is opposite Central Station, ie is at 812 George St Sydney.

Thomas marries Bridget MURPHY in 1841 … that m.c. will have scant information, (as it predates the civil registration process) BUT it should show Thomas’ status … as a Widower … and give a date for the marriage as more recent that the headstone information for Charlotte GALLIOTT …  A partial transcription will be sufficient to sort, and the official transcribers are noted on the NSW BDM online website.  More pennies left for other actual certs ....

Edward James born Oct 1843, baptised St Lawrence 5 Nov 1843, parents as Thomas and Bridget GALLIOTT.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTX9-5YF

Christ Church St Laurence has an Archivist … it may be worth while considering contacting them, and seeing if they have perhaps any information about the Pew Holders at that time, or access to the CofE Family Sheet or better still any parish register information including margin entries for GALLIOTT in the late 1830s and into the 1840s … The ceremonies would have been conducted in a temporary building provided by John Terry HUGHES … nephew of Samuel HUGHES http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/terry-samuel-2721 

https://ccsl.org.au/archives-history/  and https://ccsl.org.au/contact/

https://www.sydney.com.au/christ-church-st-laurence-sydney.htm
Christ Church St Laurence

Construction of the Christ Church St Laurence began in 1840 on the original site of the parish hall which had been there since the mid 1830's. Prior to the construction of the church services were held in the Parish of St. Laurence storeroom. Henry Robertson was architect appointed to design the church. The original church was completed in 1841.

JM