Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 18855 times)

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 09 March 19 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I have Charles Lewis D.C. unfortunately not much info. states he was a baker, age 66, born London,  no father, no mother, no marriage,  but I gather this would have been the case as the informant was the coroner, and it appears the nephew did not hang around.
Charles was buried at Camperdown Cemetery 20th Mar 1863.
I have the burial butt, which is incorrect,  Charles was described as a sailor, residence Circular Quay, age 50?
I can understand how he was described as a sailor, being the fact that he was on the Maid of The Lake,  and a sailors home was just over the road from the dead house, the age was probably hard to guess after a stroke, and we don't know long the body was kept before it was looked at? (no refrigeration) oh doesn't bear thinking about, the smell.
Very sad looks as if no one cared for this fellow?

The captain of the schooner was a Thomas Boyd, he was born in 1832 at Sydney, the son of William Smith and Elizabeth Lewis.  Thomas died Aug. 1903 at Newcastle Hospital of a stroke, he was buried 2 days later at Belmont CoE Cemetery.
There is a possibility that this Elizabeth was a sister to Charles?  but that still doesn't explain why he was in Newcastle, no Mary, no Joseph,  this is why I thought he may have reoffended and been sent to Newcastle? Mary may have married George Mulhall?  but then what happened to Joseph Lewis , Mary and Charles's son? lots of speculation?

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Saturday 09 March 19 04:34 GMT (UK) »
I have learnt my lesson from Ancestry trees !!!!!!!!  sometimes children are born 2 years after their parents death? very clever.

You are so correct, I would like to try and get in touch with Joseph's descendants,  but I don't know how?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Saturday 09 March 19 05:31 GMT (UK) »

The captain of the schooner was a Thomas Boyd, he was born in 1832 at Sydney, the son of William Smith and Elizabeth Lewis.  Thomas died Aug. 1903 at Newcastle Hospital of a stroke, he was buried 2 days later at Belmont CoE Cemetery.
There is a possibility that this Elizabeth was a sister to Charles?  but that still doesn't explain why he was in Newcastle, no Mary, no Joseph,  this is why I thought he may have reoffended and been sent to Newcastle? Mary may have married George Mulhall?  but then what happened to Joseph Lewis , Mary and Charles's son? lots of speculation?
How do you know Thomas  BOYD is son of SMITH or LEWIS ....

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Saturday 09 March 19 05:47 GMT (UK) »

I am confident that that is the year that Newcastle ceased being a penal  settlement.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Saturday 09 March 19 05:56 GMT (UK) »
I received the info about the Boyd and Lewis family from the History Officer at Lake Macquarie City Library

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:03 GMT (UK) »
I received the info about the Boyd and Lewis family from the History Officer at Lake Macquarie City Library

Did they tell you that Thomas BOYD had a brother who was also surnamed BOYD ....

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/138312593 Newcastle Herald 12 Aug 1903.

And,  did they provide you with the source of their information  :D so you can validate it?

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Here is cutting for Thomas BOYD's brother's death
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136110532 Newcastle Herald 31 Oct 1905

NSWBDM online deaths index has
1903, Thomas BOYD parents as William and Elizabeth #10961
1905, William BOYD parents as William and Elizabeth #  13536

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes Thomas had a brother William.
Apparently the info she sent me is from the Boyd Family History they have in their collection.
The Boyd family were well known shipbuilders

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Saturday 09 March 19 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  the BOYD family were involved in shipping,  but who was William SMITH ... 

JM