Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19024 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
1826, October 14
William BOYD esq, a bachelor, 33 years, paymaster 3rd Regiment, in Sydney
Elizabeth PENDERGAST, spinster, 24, Sydney. 
St James C of E, by Richard Hill.
Witnesses: George Gilling MILLS, George St Sydney
Hannah JONES, George St Sydney

Elizabeth was born in the colony.

……………………………………………….

1829, June 22
William BOYD, bachelor, of Sydney
Elizabeth JENKS spinster of Sydney
St Philips C of E by Rev William COWPER
Witnesses: John BOYD, of Sydney and Edward McROBERTS of Sydney.

…………………………………..

So two chaps in Sydney by the name of William BOYD, one married in 1826, and the other in 1829. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:29 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/31757916 The Monitor 20 Oct 1826
By special License on Saturday last, at St James's Church by the Rev R Hill, Captain Boyd, Paymaster of the 3d Regt Buffs, to Miss Pendergast of George Street

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2192261 Sydney Gazette 21 April 1829
Died on the 31st December last at Bhagulphore, suddenly, Captain William Boyd, paymaster of HM 3d regiment of Buffs.

Were there any babies to that couple?  And, where was that Mrs Wm BOYD 1826-1829

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
He died intestate ... but must have had family and property in NSW ....

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2194150  Sydney Gaz  22 Dec 1829
NSW Supreme Court notice, Eccs Jurisdiction ... Admon on his Goods, Chattels, Rights, Credits and Effects...

You need to consider this chap, to eliminate the various William BOYDs you will come across ... ie children of this William and Elizabeth BOYD .... could be mistaken for children of the other William and Elizabeth BOYD .... from birth to death and even by family history buffs in 21st century.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Three entries for the Probate ...
1831, entry no. 7, and 8,  and 9.  William BOYD. 

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/probate-records-supplementary-index

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
I don't know who that Elizabeth Pendergast is,  I did not check on her she did appear on the BDA.

On all the docs. I have the marriage is dated 1829. but one is a convict the other is the master mariner.
This is what is confusing, the marriage to Elizabeth Jenks in 1829 the William Boyd was illiterate. so was his brother John who was the witness, this marriage could be the convict.
But then as previously posted both the William Boyds have the same history, except for their early life.
William Snr. died on 12th Mar.1850 at Glenrock (a property) and was buried on the property, the government acquired the land for a railway, a few graves were relocated, but Williams grave could not be found, so mention is that his remains are still there.
Elizabeth moved back to Kent St where she lived until her death in July, 1853, she was buried in Camperdown Cemetery.
Thomas Boyd, son of William and Elizabeth married Eliza Freeman in 1859, he gave his mothers name as Elizabeth Lewis.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
I will check up next weekend if I get a chance, but I am concerned about the Camperdown Cemetery sightings ...  I think that Elizabeth (BOYD)  could be part of a family at Glebe, and NOT connected to the Charles LEWIS who died on Lake Macquarie.   I may be relying on grey cells, so I will check and double check ....

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 11:03 BST (UK) »
There is also a William Boyd and an Elizabeth Janks marriage on the BDM's for NSW,  in 1829, not sure if it is a different marriage or a duplication of Elizabeth Jenks?
I'm thinking I need to invest in some transcriptions as it gets a little complicated.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
I think you need to keep Elizabeth Pendergast in the picture,  she would likely have had a child, perhaps a son, and likely named him after her husband ...  another William BOYD to keep in mind, in Sydney and around the same age as Elizabeth JENKS possible pre nuptial sons, Thomas and William

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
If the NSW BDM has two BOYD JENKS entries in 1829, that is likely the ONE m.c. but one will be the transmitted copy of the other.  Likely in different volumes etc ...  I think BDA has all the info off the St James C of E and the St Phillips C of E in the NSW Chaplain eras.... so from the beginning until mid 1850s ...

JM