Author Topic: John Robson and Margaret Sivright  (Read 1444 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Robson and Margaret Sivright
« on: Friday 21 December 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on the parents of Margaret Robson baptised 16th May 1787 in Keith and died 8th April 1856 in Deskford.  Her parents on her death certificate are listed as John Robson (Shoemaker) deceased and Margaret Sivright (deceased).  They had other children: James 1774, John 1775, Elizabeth 1777, Jean 1778, Helen 1781, Anna 1784, Isobel 1789.   I don't have birth nor death dates for John and Margaret nor who their parents were, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Robson and Margaret Sivright
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
The most likely John I can find on SP

ROBSON   JOHN   JAMES ROBSON/JEAN GORDON   M   27/03/1746   Mortlach

As far as I can see on SP no likely Margaret’s born in Banff but others elsewhere such as below.

SIVRIGHT   MARGARET JOHN SIVRIGHT/ELIZABETH PHILLIP    F   06/09/1739   St Cuthbert's
SIVWRIGHT MARGARET JOHN SIVWRIGHT/MARGARET DUNCAN    F   15/02/1741   Edinburgh
SIVWRIGHT MARGARET JAMES SIVWRIGHT/ISOBEL SPROTT    F   29/06/1740   Edinburgh

Less likely I think,
SIVERIGHT MARGARET ARTHUR SIVERIGHT/JANNET THOMSON   F   15/07/1747   Cairnie

SIEVWRIGHT MARGARET NORMAN SIEVWRIGHT/MARGARET SPENCE    F   09/08/1758     Brechin

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I was leaning towards James and Jean Gordon but didn't want to make that leap without someone else thoughts.  I will Look at John and Elizabeth Sivright first since their names tally with childrens names and move on from there, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Less likely I think,
SIVERIGHT MARGARET ARTHUR SIVERIGHT/JANNET THOMSON   F   15/07/1747   Cairnie
Cairnie is the very-next-door parish to Keith, and nearer than Mortlach. As you are in the realms of speculation anyway, it is more, not less, likely.

Have you found Margaret Robson in the 1851 census? Where does it say she was born?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 December 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 Census it says she was born in Keith, Banff.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 December 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage of Margaret Sievewright to William Gordon in Cairnie in 1773, so that's probably the one baptised in Cairnie in 1747. I also think you can fairly safely dismiss the ones baptised in Brechin and Edinburgh, though it's not impossible that someone born in one of those places might end up in Banffshire.

If your Robsons followed the naming tradition I'd expect John R's parents to be James and Jean and Margaret Siveright's parents to be John and Elizabeth. But if they were following the inverse, then Margaret's parents might indeed be James and Jean.

I've reached a brick wall with my 4ggf whose family were born in Keith in the late 1700s, but not all of them are in the baptism records, and neither is he. I fear that you may have reached the same point.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 December 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian I hate when I hit the brick wall, I keep hoping for miracles and someone new to suddenly decide to do their family tree and have more information than me.  Merry Christmas.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 December 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian I hate when I hit the brick wall, I keep hoping for miracles and someone new to suddenly decide to do their family tree and have more information than me.  Merry Christmas.
I agree, but if the records haven't survived there's not a lot anyone can do. Merry Christmas to you too :)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 December 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
While Margaret Robson might have said she had been born in Keith, all her elder siblings up to and including Helen were born in Mortlach, in Broomend or Burnend - see FreeREG.

And FreeREG shows John Robson bapt 27-3-1746 Mortlach to James Robson & Jean Gordon born at ... Burnend.

If you can also establish that James Robson was a shoemaker, that's pretty well cracked it. Have you checked out the various Tax Records at ScotlandsPlaces - those for the 1790s?

For the record, if the above doesn't hack it, there is another candidate:
- John Robson born 20-1-1749 Achoynany [sic] Keith to James Robson & Janet Bonnyman
There's one Janet Bonnyman candidate (just):
BONNYMAN JANET to JOHN BONNYMAN/ELISABETH STRACHAN
Janet BONIMAN    Baptism    26 Sep 1711    Deskford
Janet BONNYMAN    Baptism    6 Oct 1711    Cullen
(two records, one person)

Regarding, Margaret Sivewright, FreeREG shows there are two so named in Mortlach at the same time producing children. So watch it! Your Margaret Sivewright would have been born abt 1750. There is one in FreeREG - 1749 in Marnoch (unconvincing because the father's named Peter).

FreeREG often seems to be overlooked as a resource (and that includes me, by the way) but when there is coverage, it can be invaluable.

Hope that provides you with a suitable sized sledgehammer to batter your brick wall!