Author Topic: Sources for French genealogy  (Read 1148 times)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sources for French genealogy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 December 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
William's death :69 ,living 36 bis rue d'Allonville,industrialist , mill owner, widow of Augusta Rotherham,was born 23 july 1867 in Stafford, son of William Kent and Cora Chauner

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone once again.
Joger - I don't think he was a mill owner but, that apart, I do appreciate the time you and others have spent to help.
Here is my (now much reduced) list of outstanding questions. I think they will probably be resolved (if at all) by me contacting someone in Nantes - maybe the local council, and/or the companies which William founded and still exist. But before I do, if anyone has any further information, or suggestions of avenues to pursue, they will be very welcome.
1. Anything to show when (and why) William moved to France between the 1891 census and his marriage in Paris, which I believe to be in 1897.
2. Date of that marriage, which was consular so not in the normal list of marriages in Paris already kindly provided.
3. Any children from the marriage of Andrea Kent and Andre L M J Morault.
4. Deaths of - Gabriel L M J Morault, husband of Olga; Andre L M J Morault above
5. Birth (probably 1900) of Fernand Olivier Ignace Manguin, 2nd husband of Andrea - and his death, almost certainly in Paris.

I've found a website that shows old newspaper archives and (like the one accessed by Findmypast) shows some extracts obtained by OCR. It looks like the brothers Morault eventually took over the business from William Kent. However, it seems to be costly to get full access so I will try to get something from Nantes first.

Merry Christmas to all!

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 December 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Mill owner = plant owner, factory owner

Geneanet has Olga Kent , Gabriel Morault .