Author Topic: Sun Street West, Birmingham St Thomas? Birmingham or Aston?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sun Street West, Birmingham St Thomas? Birmingham or Aston?
« on: Friday 21 December 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I just got the birth certificate for my ancestor Alfred Allen, born 6th November 1845 at Sun Street West, registration district of St Thomas, Birmingham.

His father was Samuel Allen, a button burnisher, and his mother Jane Allen, formerly Dowler.  The Informant was Jane Allen, residence Sun Street West.

I am wondering if this address was in Birmingham itself or Aston?  Although the birth certificate is obviously correct from my other information about this family, I had also got back the death certificate for his mother Jane Allen, who died 1848 in Birmingham, which seems to be wrong as it gives the husband as a William Allen, silver worker; this Jane Allen died of dysentry in the workhouse.  There is another Jane Allen who also died in 1848 in Aston, also aged 48.

I am a bit confused as maybe this is the same Jane Allen, both died in 1848 aged 48.  One died in Birmingham and the other in Aston.  As her son Alfred was born in 1845 in Birmingham, I assumed that Birmingham was the right one for her, but it doesn't seem to be.  So, is Sun Street West in Birmingham or Aston?

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Street West, Birmingham St Thomas?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
If you're looking for the location of Sun Street West, then this thread may help you.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=111959.0
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Street West, Birmingham St Thomas?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
If you're looking for the location of Sun Street West, then this thread may help you.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=111959.0

Thanks.  I haven't been able to find Sun Street West on a modern map, or to find out if it was in Birmingham or Aston.  I was trying to find it in a larger perspective map.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Street West, Birmingham St Thomas? Birmingham or Aston?
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 December 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Here we are - Sun Street West

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.4691&lon=-1.9032&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Thanks.  I looked up Lee Bank Middleway on Google Maps and it looks to be fairly central Birmingham, a long way from Aston.

Maybe the family moved after the birth of Alfred, and Jane died in Aston.  Or maybe there are other registration districts in Birmingham where Jane's death could be registered.  His father, Samuel Allen, married Harriet Day on 26th March 1851 in St Edburgha, Yardley, Birmingham,  and they had another child Ann.  I was trying to get the right death certificate for Jane.  There is also a Jane Allen who is buried in Key Hill cemetery in 1848.

Offline Bojalu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Street West, Birmingham St Thomas? Birmingham or Aston?
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Here we are - Sun Street West

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.4691&lon=-1.9032&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Thanks.  I looked up Lee Bank Middleway on Google Maps and it looks to be fairly central Birmingham, a long way from Aston.

Maybe the family moved after the birth of Alfred, and Jane died in Aston.  Or maybe there are other registration districts in Birmingham where Jane's death could be registered.  His father, Samuel Allen, married Harriet Day on 26th March 1851 in St Edburgha, Yardley, Birmingham,  and they had another child Ann.  I was trying to get the right death certificate for Jane.  There is also a Jane Allen who is buried in Key Hill cemetery in 1848.

Hello,

Key Hill Cemetery formally known as the General Cemetery-
 Jane Allen buried February 1848 in section D plot 40.
This is a public grave ( not to be confused with a paupers grave ) with a total of 47 interments in this plot.

The   districts  have changed.  Deritend ,  Bordesley, parts of Small Heath, Nechells  , Duddeston , Saltley , Erdington , Sutton Coldfield Registration Districts were in Aston.

Lee Bank Middleway as it is now known is not too far away from Bordesley that was part  the Registration District of Aston. 

Digbeth  was part of Birmingham  yet nearby  Deritend in Aston until 1911.

Yardley and St Edburgha's Church also known as Yardley Old Church was in Worcestershire until 1911 then became part of Birmingham . Acocks Green, Sparkhill, Sparkbrook , Stechford were also in the Parish of Yardley.
 Handsworth  now part of Birmingham  was in  Staffordshire .
Kings Norton was also in Worcestershire rather than Warwickshire .

It would be worth looking at some old maps for that time period either online or purchase Alan Godfrey Maps.