Author Topic: A puzzle for Christmas  (Read 924 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A puzzle for Christmas
« on: Friday 21 December 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I need one final piece of information and I will have all the information I need on the Cravens of Alnwick.  Before we start, just so you don't start investigating people I already know about, the family is this:

John Craven, b. abt 1776 (bap. Feb 77) in Wakefield
Elizabeth Lindores, b. abt 1780, probably in Kelso.  They married 16 Sep, 1804 in Alnwick.
All children born and baptised in Alnwick.
George, b. 1805
James, b. 1807 (d. 1816)
John Hugh, b. 1809
Elizabeth, b. 1810 (d. 1817)
Algernon Percy, b. 1813 (d. 1817)
Mary Ann, b. abt 1816 (bap Oct that year)***
Isabella Charlotte, b. 1819
Frances, b. 1821
Thomas, b. 1823
Dorothy b. 1825 (d. aged 10 days)
Baptism dates are all in the Bishop of Durham's Transcripts.

***Mary Ann is the mystery.  Of those that survived to adulthood, Thomas, Frances and Isabella Charlotte all went through an 'irregular' marriage, two of them confirmed as Lamberton Toll.  As I can find no first marriage date for John Hugh, I am assuming he did so as well.  All of these children, apart from Mary Ann, are well documented through to death.  However, I can find nothing on Mary Ann so I am assuming she also married irregularly - and probably at Lamberton Toll.  Is there any way of finding out whom she married?  Mary Ann is such a common combination of names.  I have trawled the burials (Bishop of Durham's Transcripts) but can find no burial for her.  If I had her presumed hubby's name, I might be able to track her.  If anyone has any idea, I would be most grateful.

I do find it strange that John and Elizabeth married 'regularly', and all the children were baptised, yet they all married irregularly and not in the Church.  John and Elizabeth have a headstone (removed and leaning against a wall in the churchyard) so they were buried by the parish, as were the children that died.  John Hugh's 2nd and 3rd marriages were also regular, and his 2nd wife and the baby by his 3rd wife were buried in the 'new' cemetery in Alnwick.  (Weirdly, the baby of his 3rd wife was buried in the grave of his 2nd wife...).

A puzzle indeed.

Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline leka

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: A puzzle for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi lydiaann
Is this the record that you have for Mary Ann's Baptism:
Baptisms, Alnwick District - Record Number: 1343619.0
Church: St. Michael
Denomination: Anglican
11 Oct 1816 Mary Ann Craven, of Allerburn House, daughter of John (turner) & Elizabeth Craven.
I can't find a birth record either only her Baptism, I don't understand what the word in brackets (turner) relates too?
Solomon,Pullan,Charlton

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand what the word in brackets (turner) relates too?

It's his occupation.

What do you mean by 'I can't find a birth record'? Pre-1837 all you are likely to find is a baptism record, although these do sometimes include a date of birth.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »

I can't find a birth record either only her Baptism, I don't understand what the word in brackets (turner) relates too?
[/quote]

That would be his occupation
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 December 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, leka, that's the right baptism.  As I said, I have all the baptisms from the Bishop's Transcripts.  It's just the fact that I cannot find anything else about her so I am assuming an irregular marriage.  Knowing that the documentation for those is very, very rare, I was just hoping that some elf with magical powers (it is Christmas, after all... :D) might be able to turn up some details.

Yes, Turner is an occupation and John worked at Alnwick Castle for the Duke and named two of his children (John HUGH and Algernon PERCY) after the family.  In fact, this year some amazing information turned up on this very website, most exciting.

"...Hello, I have been trying to find ancestors of John Craven of Alnwick/Wakefield. I have been researching the Percy Tenantry Volunteers (1798 - 1814) on behalf of Alnwick Castle. John Craven was a soldier who was transferred to the "Experimental Corps of Riflemen' and took part in in the Battle of Copenhagen which resulted in being awarded a medal of Valour from Horatio Nelson.(The medal was recently sold for over £3000... I have a photo) Being wounded in the Battle he was discharged and then joined the 'Wakefield Volunteers' before being poached by the Duke of Northumberland (on a recommendation from his ex commanding officer Lt Col Stewert, of the 95th Reg). He was the Sgt Major for the Northern division of the PTV Riflemen and was responsible for their training. He lived for a while at Allerburn Cottage   (still there and a very attractive cottage). A 'Turner' by trade, he later moved up into town (Alnwick) and set up a workshop. He made several items for the PTV (we still have the receipts). He was given a pension for life from the Duke as well as his Chelsea Pension. …".

I am in touch with this archivist and he has been a great help.  Check the Castle site, they have set up a great exhibition and there is a little videa about "Serjeant Major Craven".  However, none of this has anything to do with Mary Ann.  Ah well, never mind.  It was just a whim, wanting to 'complete' this particular nuclear family.  Thanks for responding everybody! Go easy on those mince pies!

lydiaann

Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee