Author Topic: Is this my Margaret Young?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Is this my Margaret Young?
« on: Friday 21 December 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-great-grandmother was Elspet Young, daughter of William Young and Margaret Dallas. Margaret Young, Braehead, Botriphnie, was a witness to the baptism of Elspet's eldest daughter Margaret in 1821.

12th October 1794. Margaret lawful daughter to William Young and Margaret Dallas in New Keith was born the 5th curt and baptised this day. Witnesses James Sim and Margaret Mann in New Keith. [Keith Parish Register]

William Innes, son of James Innes and Margaret Stephen, was baptised on 1 February 1797 in Botriphnie.
William Innes and Margaret Young were married in Botriphnie on 24 May 1818.
Sept 21 1818. William Innes in Sauchenward with his wife Margaret Young had a son baptized this date called James. James Innes and Janet Innes witnesses.
Septr 15th 1820. William Innes in Sauchenward with his wife Margaret Young had twins baptized this date calld William and Alexander. William Edward Jean Edward Alexr Edward and Janet Innes witnesses.
April 17th 1825. William Innes in Sauchanward with his wife Margaret Young had a child baptised this date called Margaret.
June 7th 1829. William Innes in Sachanward with his wife Margaret Young had Twins baptised this date called John Angus and Moriah Jean. John Angus and Katherine Taylor Dionysius Reid and Jean Angus witnesses. [Botriphnie Parish Register]

1841 Census: Saughenward, Botriphnie 148/1/5
William Innes          40  Weaver         Banffshire
Alexander Innes       20  Lodger          Banffshire
Margaret Innes        15                      Banffshire

1851 Census: Sauchenward, Botriphnie 148/1/7
William Innes          Head Wid 54  Hand loom weaver         Banffshire, Botriphnie

1861 Census: Sauchenward, Botriphnie 148/2/5
William Innes            Head Wid 64  Flax and wool weaver         Banffshire, Botriphnie

1871 Census index: Botriphnie 148/2/5
William Innes  74

Death reference Botriphnie 1848/148/1. William Innes, woollen weaver master, widower of Margaret Young, died 1878, January eighteenth, Sauchenward, Botriphnie, aged 81. Father James Innes, woollen weaver master, mother Margaret Innes maiden surname Stephen. Cause of death apoplexy. Registered by William Innes, son.

Braehead and Sauchenward are very close to one another. Note that the eldest son of William Innes and Margaret Young was James, and the second was William, and that their elder daughter was Margaret. So all the evidence is consistent with Margaret Young, wife of William Innes, being the sister of my great-great-great-grandmother Elspet Young.

But is it enough for me to add the Innes family to my tree? What do people think?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this my Margaret Young?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
The evidence seems quite strong. William and Margaret might have been pulled up for antenuptial fornication, but I have never found a case like that mentioning the couple's parents as they had already married.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I have yet to find any report of their antenuptial activities, though everyone else in the family seems to feature in the kirk session minutes at one time or another. Maybe I need to have another read through the Keith and Botriphnie ones.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
It's taken me a while to look - I've got notes on this family because of my attempts to find my own Ann Young in Fordyce. One potential connection is if your William Young was born 1759 Fordyce s/o James Young & Isabel Findlay - can you confirm or refute that?

Anyway, FreeREG (to the rescue again!) showed the baptisms of the John Burgess & Elspet Young children. The baptism of 10 Aug 1837 of Elspet Burgess was witnessed by "William Innes in Sauchenward in Botriphny" - he is surely the husband (by now widower?) of Margaret Young. To me that is enough to be confident that his wife Margaret is your Elspet's sister (the witness being the uncle of the child).

The 1821 baptism's witnesses of "Margaret Young in Braehead of Botriphnie" and "William Young in Cottartown of Up. Achanacy" suggests the witnesses are aunt and uncle of the child. But all records show that Margaret Young & William Innes were in Sauchenward 1818, 1820, 1825, 1829, and later thus apparently continuously. But there is space for a short sojourn in Braehead in 1821.

Is "William Young in Cottartown of Up. Achanacy" the child's uncle? If so, that implies "Margaret Young in Braehead of Botriphnie" is the child's aunt and, if that be so, that further shows Margaret Young & William Innes were in Braehead in 1821. But if not .....

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Fordyce. It all looks very plausible, but I cannot actually prove any of the relationships. In particular William Young in Upper Auchanachy is probably the father, as I have no evidence of him having a son. (Doesn't mean he didn't have one of course). Upper Auchanachie and Cottarton of Broadfield are the same place.

In particular I cannot confirm or otherwise any connection with James Young and Isabel Findlay.

I think there is probably enough evidence for me to attach the Innes family to my Youngs, with a note to say that more evidence is needed.