Author Topic: If you could shout at someone from the past....  (Read 8624 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: If you could shout at someone from the past....
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 December 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
OLIVER  CROMWELL!!   >:(

For lots of reasons. However in the interests of balance, also King Charles.
Cowban

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 December 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »

And Duke William (push off back to Normandy you literal b*st*rd!)
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 December 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
A big hurrah for the Rev. William Dade, and Archbishop Markham who decided that Dade's idea of writing down a lot of info in the registers was a good one.

And all those clergymen outside the York diocese who took up at least some of Dade's ideas even when they didn't officially need to.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 December 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Not so much a shout .. more perhaps a groan ..

When I looked for the marriage entry of my two x Great Grandparents Edward Senior and Mary Innes I found that the person who was writing up the registers had decided to omit all information about Fathers and to leave this blank instead on all marriages.  When I enquired with the registrar I was told the marriage certificate was exactly the same - blank where Fathers' information should be.

I wonder what was behind this?  Perhaps they had kind motives - people born illegitimately could treated censuriously back then.  I suppose if you were illegitimate at that time you might have had a weight lifted off your mind going to that Church.  No having to make up a Father's name or no embarrassment having to admit the truth.

I also groan about the fact that Mother's information is not included on marriage certificates.  Were they not important too?

However, I would like to shout at those back in the days of yore who thought it fit to censure unmarried mothers but to let putative Father's seemingly off the hook.  For instance, you never hear of any putative Father having to serve time in a cruel, harsh unforgiving laundry establishment do you?

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 December 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Not so much a shout .. more perhaps a groan ..

When I looked for the marriage entry of my two x Great Grandparents Edward Senior and Mary Innes I found that the person who was writing up the registers had decided to omit all information about Fathers and to leave this blank instead on all marriages.  When I enquired with the registrar I was told the marriage certificate was exactly the same - blank where Fathers' information should be.

I wonder what was behind this?  Perhaps they had kind motives - people born illegitimately could treated censuriously back then.  I suppose if you were illegitimate at that time you might have had a weight lifted off your mind going to that Church.  No having to make up a Father's name or no embarrassment having to admit the truth.

I also groan about the fact that Mother's information is not included on marriage certificates.  Were they not important too?

However, I would like to shout at those back in the days of yore who thought it fit to censure unmarried mothers but to let putative Father's seemingly off the hook.  For instance, you never hear of any putative Father having to serve time in a cruel, harsh unforgiving laundry establishment do you?

Women weren't considered important at all.  You'll find today, still people ready to give single mothers a hard time and blame them for all and sundry.

Incidentally, this is why I love Scottish certificates.  Both marriage and death certificates have the names of father and mother (where known) and have done since they began in 1855.  it is so useful, not just for knowing the mothers name but for narrowing down for example which child belongs to which John Smith.   
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 December 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Dade registers are great, and from 1798 to 1812 often in Co Durham, birthplaces of parents were listed, or natives of. I was able to prove my Scottish ancestor living in Bishop Auckland as it said he was a native of Selkirk, Scotland. If only all counties in the UK had that.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 22 December 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
My Irish Ancestors...to please put down on the census returns where in Ireland you were born!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 December 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »

And Duke William (push off back to Normandy you literal b*st*rd!)

I'll second that suggestion to Duke William. Although I appreciate Norman architecture.
Cowban

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 December 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I'd politely enquire of one branch of the tree who carefully wrote a date in the front of their family bible which implied it was the date of their wedding, however I can't find any proof of it ANYWHERE! .......
North East of England