Author Topic: If you could shout at someone from the past....  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: If you could shout at someone from the past....
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 December 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I would like to ask my 9x gt grandfather, one John Pearle of Rattlesden, Suffolk why, when his eldest son Thomas died in 1649 leaving a widow and six children, did he make a new will leaving everything to his surviving son, and making no provision whatsoever for Thomas's widow and children?   The surviving son had married well and he and his side of the family subsequently prospered.  But for the descendants of Thomas, they spent the following two hundred years  being humble Ag Labs, with occasional recourse to the workhouse, until the arrival of the railways went some way to restoring their prosperity.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 December 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I'd have a serious conversation with a relative of a daughter-in-law of 4x great-grandparents about his plantation and his slaves in Jamaica. He must have died by 1793; his widow re-married then. My concern would probably mystify him. 
Cowban

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 December 18 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I would like to ask my grandmother's sister, Kathleen [known as Kit] Boshell who her mother was! GT GR mother died 5 years earlier ???

I would also  like to ask my grandfather's brother Hugh Alexander Kane who his wife was. :-\

Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 December 18 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I'd ask the vicar of Wethersfield, Essex why he only put down that Joseph Tiffin had 2 twin daughters in 1736, and not their names. One of them may have been Maria, as a Maria Tiffin died as an infant, daughter of Joseph. I think Joseph's wife was Sarah, as a Sarah Tiffin, wife of Joseph died in 1773 in Wethersfield.

In 1759 my ancestor Susannah Tiffin married Andrew Page. Witnesses seemed regular ones (typical). They had a daughter Sarah in 1763. Would have been great to know the other name of the twin daughters born to Joseph in 1736.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Debra Sleith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 December 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Ditto, and I would nicely ask every single one of my ancestors to please, please! write names and dates on the back of photos

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 28 December 18 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I would like to ask my 3 X Irish great grandparents what their mother's maiden names were, none of whom were named on their Irish marriage cert! .???  Another Bah Humbug!  😢😢
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 28 December 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »
I would like to ask my ggg grandparents where they were born and who their parents were, politely of course.
Also, information on their siblings! Wouldn't that be lovely!
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 28 December 18 08:06 GMT (UK) »
I'd have a serious conversation with a relative of a daughter-in-law of 4x great-grandparents about his plantation and his slaves in Jamaica. He must have died by 1793; his widow re-married then. My concern would probably mystify him. 

Interesting, would you also talk to the native Africans who captured and sold their fellow countrymen to the white traders in the first place?
People seem to forget native cultures had been enslaving their neighbours all over the world for centuries that is how the world developed.
There were very few societies that did not embrace slavery at on time or another.
That does not make it right but we must be very careful in judging the past using today's values.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 28 December 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to remonstrate with the judge who sentenced a distant relative age 9 or 10 to 21 days hard labour and 4 years Reformatory School hundreds of miles away from his family. http://vcp.e2bn.org/prisoners/2043-1811-dennis-fairey.html  Dennis was punished for stealing a loaf of bread and some fruit and nuts.  It was just before Christmas and he was the youngest member of a very large and poor family. I expect he was trying to help. His father had already been jailed for neglecting the family.  Many children were sent abroad from Reformatory School, but at least Dennis escaped that and returned to his family.  Was he a reformed character?  We don't know, just that he never married, had a job as a "coach maker/carriage iron worker" in later censuses and lived to the age of 80.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.