Author Topic: If you could shout at someone from the past....  (Read 8676 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: If you could shout at someone from the past....
« Reply #54 on: Monday 31 December 18 10:10 GMT (UK) »
What is the use of shouting?, we cannot change history unfortunately and it does no one any good, I have never been a shouter

Having said that I would like to have had a quiet word with my Gt grandmother, think she was a bit of a naughty girl in her time, named  father on one birth cert of her son   but took another man to court and got maintenance for this child, how could  you do that in those days, no DNA and the father stated on the birth cert as "dec" was very much alive but with another person calling her "wife", she had been married to him some 24 years previously then went on to live with my Gt grandfather and had another 10 children and never married him

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 31 December 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Imagine if someone came up to you today and started shouting at you, saying that you are their great great great grandmother/father and all the things you did wrong  ;D

It'd be hard to go back in time and watch your x great grandparents proudly cradling their new baby and thinking "that one dies, and I know how", especially with a gruesome death like burning. I've thought about this with my 2xgt grandparents and their 11 children.

The birth order was William, Thomas, Thomas, Joseph, Mary Ann, Elizabeth Jane, Ethel, Elizabeth Jane, Olive, Charles Edward, Nora. The first Thomas was born prematurely and died within hours. The first Elizabeth Jane was born weak and died after 9 days. Charles Edward died at a few months old- we speculated on here that it might have been heatstroke. My ancestor was Olive and the mother would already have been pregnant with Nora when Charles Edward died. If I knew why Thomas was born premature (such as a fall or some other external trigger) then maybe he could be saved- but if he was born full term, this would affect the date of conception for the subsequent baby and all other subsequent babies, presumably then preventing the birth of Olive and therefore unwriting my line and preventing my birth. Same with Elizabeth Jane. However, if I saved Charles Edward (and sadly if we are right then his death probably was preventable), all children would still exist but then how might his being alive affect things? Would Olive still have met her husband? Who knows.

My grandmother's sister married my grandfather's brother- I believe that is how they met. My own parents met when they both got invited to a joint birthday party, although mum recognised him from church and apparently they'd already been introduced the year before but mum didn't remember. So if there was ever a moment like Back to the Future where two people need to dance together in order for me to be born, that party was apparently it.

Ayashi

My parents met at the dancing.  My paternal Grandparents met because she went into his family's shop to buy sweets.  Would love to know how my maternal Grandparents met.  They grew up miles apart both geographically and socially.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 31 December 18 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I doubt my parents would have met but for the war.... my mother was in Egypt working at the British Embassy, only because she couldn't get back to continue her studies in England! There she got friendly with another woman who was married to my father.... complicated I know bear with me!
My father and wife had two children close together and as my father was a fairly high ranking army officer attended lots of functions... according to my half sister one night wife says to my father 'why don't you take Joyce (my mum) to this do as I can't manage with these two little ones...... the rest is history so to speak...
But for that I'd not be here and my half siblings would have had a father for the rest of their lives so a turn in events makes all the difference!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 31 December 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Maybe not a shout but some encouragement for my maternal AND paternal grans to tell someone, anyone, their family stories.  Who their parents (dad in particular) were, where they lived, who their brothers and sisters were anything to go on would be a start!

One in Winchester and one in Birmingham and I cannot go back further than my grandmother on both sides!!!  Why oh why oh why was it all such a secret?!

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 31 December 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Clairec666 I'm with you, my parents met during WW2 and I doubt they would have otherwise as dad was a country boy and mum a city girl.

For me, it's both sets of grandparents.
I'll start a new topic about this :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 31 December 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy,

That is news to me regarding the vote.  I have read that women over the age of 30 were given the vote on 6 February 1918 if they were a member of or married to a member of the Local Government Register and that they only got the vote on the same terms as men (over 21) in 1928.

Happy New Year!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 31 December 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy,

That is news to me regarding the vote.  I have read that women over the age of 30 were given the vote on 6 February 1918 if they were a member of or married to a member of the Local Government Register and that they only got the vote on the same terms as men (over 21) in 1928.

Happy New Year!

Yes that is the commonly held view but do not believe all you read as much is propaganda.

Until the 1832 Reform Act women were not banned from voting in Great Britain, the legislation enfranchised all owners of freehold property or land worth at least forty shillings in a county. This obviously blocked many women but not all, for instance some married women held land & property in their own right at this time though most lost their right to the property as soon as they married.

62 years later the 1894 Local Government Act specifically allowed women to vote in elections for county and borough councils.

There are electoral registers & voters list which show a few women did vote during the early years.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 02:02 GMT (UK) »
I would shout at:

a) All the Birketts of Berkshire who named their children either "George"  or "William" and all the Vanstones who named their boys "Tristram" and all the Tristrams who made darned sure they married a "Mary"!!

b) All the parents who named their present children after children who had died not that long ago.  For instance, one ancestor named daughter #1 Anne.  Anne unfortunately died at age 1.  A year later, the same parents named the next daughter Ann. She died after 2 years.  The next daughter was named Ann.  Fortunately she lived a nice long life.

c) The relative who "assumed" that their grandmother had died in 1903.  Unfortunately, I found that great-grandmother STILL ALIVE & married to the same man 8 years later.

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 03 March 19 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I would shout at my something g-grandfather Dr. A.A Rddel for not having a gravestone on the family plot.  Then I would ask him:
1) where are his parents buried, when did they die and where did they go after arriving in Toronto (if they didn't stay there); and
2) is the Wm Wood who gave you the medical dictionary the same as the Wm Wood who had a daughter in the Toronto Insane Asylum because she fell of a horse and was never the same since (this Wm Wood is a something g-grandfather).
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood