Author Topic: If you could shout at someone from the past....  (Read 8707 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: If you could shout at someone from the past....
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 December 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I would definitely shout at my cousin to let me know where and when he married his second wife and who was she?    Or on second thoughts did you marry her or just call her your wife in your will?  Heavens above your first wife died in 1942 so it wasn't a case of leaving her.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 December 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Well, rather than complain, I'd like to give a shout-out to Mr. Charles L. Bishop, census enumerator in district 1078, Brooklyn, N.Y. in 1920, who defied authority and did not follow instructions.  He did not record the birthplace of Elizabeth Stalla's father as simply 'England,' but, rather, 'Cambridge, England.'  And with that slender clue, I was able to track him down.  Thank you, Mr. Bishop.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 December 18 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Don't think I want to shout despite the frustration of trying to identify which family my Henry Guy (1801-1845) belonged to..... there are a few candidates but nothing conclusive.... wasn't it usual for the first son to be named after the grandfather?  ...... well I've no John's on my family....

SO WHICH FAMILY DID YOU BELONG TO HENRY?

I've thrown the computer & iPad at the wall, figuratively speaking, so many times in frustration.... just one little clue woukd do...

So that's me shouting if you like.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 December 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, those clergymen (and registrars) who wrote down only the absolute minimum in the registers.

Baptism is supposed to be a major event in a person's life, and you can't be bothered writing more than six words about them? Shame on you!

Oh yes. "infant son of John Smith and his wife".  Annoyingly brief.

I'd like to shout at my 3x grt grandfather for abandoning my G3x Great Grandmother and my great great grandfather.  I'd also like to shout at the judge who, IMO passed down a disproportionately long sentence of 10 years when she became desperate and stole some food. 

Just to clarify, I'm not saying my 3x Great Grandmother didn't do wrong, and I'm not even saying that she shouldn't have been convicted just that 10 years for what the judge himself in the summing up 'a first offence' seems extreme.  Maybe I'm just judging by modern standards where convicted murders and rapists serve mere months.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 December 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Shades of Les Miserables there, pharmaT :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 December 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I would like to talk to the "Health and Safety" people who have flattened, buried or destroyed gravestones without mapping them or listing them first! (I do realise some were dangerous.)
I know 3xGt. Grandfather's gravestone is there but was laid flat and buried, wish I had X ray eyes because at least I know the spot from a map.
rayard.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 December 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Not shout "at" ..... but a shout "out" to whoever it was who decided that from 1855 all births marriages and death records in Scotland had to include all the names of most relevant people, including all the names of several times married women. Its been a Godsend to researching my father's side. ;D

But to whoever it was in England - why did you decide it wasn't worth the bother!  :(

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 December 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
 OLIVER  CROMWELL!!   >:(
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 December 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Not shout "at" ..... but a shout "out" to whoever it was who decided that from 1855 all births marriages and death records in Scotland had to include all the names of most relevant people, including all the names of several times married women. Its been a Godsend to researching my father's side. ;D

But to whoever it was in England - why did you decide it wasn't worth the bother!  :(

OH yes, but shout at the person who decided they should stop listing birthplace of parents on birth certificates.  Oh for an 1855 style one.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others