Author Topic: Can't read surname, Drumconor Townland, Dungannon  (Read 2014 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can't read surname, Drumconor Townland, Dungannon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 December 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
For reference and for anyone who finds this thread:

I don't think that Mary Jane (Twinem) Twinem who died in 1903 at the age of 80 is the mother of Mary (Twinem) Carrick, who married Charles Carrick in 1856.

In 1901 her census said that Mary Jane (Twinem) Twinem was 70, or born about 1833. Her death record implies she was born about 1823. In either case, she was born too late to be Mary (Twinem) Carrick's mother.

Mary (Twinem) Carrick, based on the Valuation Revision Books, took over the family plot in Drumconor Townland, Co. Tyrone, from her husband Charles as of 1874. (He had died in 1870). Then as of 1884 the land went to her son William. There is even a note in the margin that says "dead." A Mary Carrick of Drumconor died in 1882, age 49, putting her birth about 1833.

Also Mary (Twinem) Carrick married Charles Carrick in 1856 and had her first known child, William John, in 1860. So there really aren't enough years from 1823 to 1860 for three generations, I don't think.

-----------
This isn't to imply that any of the posters on this thread thought they were mother and daughter to begin with. It always helps to find others with the same surname in the same place, especially if it is relatively uncommon. In this case, it got me looking in the right area. So far I have found three Leonard Twinem's in Seagoe Parish, Armagh, in the right time period, and am in the process of narrowing down which one was the father of Mary (Twinem) Carrick.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 January 19 02:55 GMT (UK) »
I have some of this family in my database. William Carrick was married to Letitia Twinem and they lived in Drumconor. I think they were both originally from the Portadown area where those names were common. Charles Carrick's wife was probably a cousin. Their son William John married his first cousin on the Carrick side. Is there something you're looking to figure out?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 January 19 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I have some of this family in my database. William Carrick was married to Letitia Twinem and they lived in Drumconor. I think they were both originally from the Portadown area where those names were common. Charles Carrick's wife was probably a cousin. Their son William John married his first cousin on the Carrick side. Is there something you're looking to figure out?

Thank you for replying.

I have Charles Carrick in Drumconor in 1856 when he married Mary Jane Twinem, but I didn't see them there in the Tithe Applotment Books, so I wondered where they had been before that.

Do you know:
Is William Carrick the man who died in the third quarter of 1867? And is Charles the man who died in the 1st quarter of 1874?

I'm not finding a death for Letitia (Twinem) Carrick at https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/. Did she die before the civil registrations?

Do you have a source for Letitia Twinem being the wife of William Carrick (?1795 - ?1867) that I can include with my notes?

-----
As for the Twinems, I have Mary Jane Twinem above (c 1833 - 24 October 1882) in Lylo Townland, Seagoe Parish, Co Armagh, in 1856, daughter of Leonard Twinem, when she married Charles Carrick. Do you know who her mother was?

There is a Leond Twinain in Lylo Townland in the Tithe Applotment books, done in 1834, who is probably her father.

Do you know who this Leonard Twynem is:
"ii. Arabella McReynolds was born in 1826 and, in 1845, was married to Leonard Twynem of Seagoe Parish. Leonard died prior to Nov.16, 1853, for on that day, Arabella Twinim [... married again, etc.]" Found at http://brennen.caltech.edu/kerr/chap6.htm

----
They are not my relatives, so it is mainly curiosity on my part, but I wanted to see how far back I could trace the Twinem family, at least, since I had never heard that name before. I got interested in them when I found a postcard for sale on line from Charles Carrick's granddaughter Elizabeth Boyd, mailed from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US, back to her father in County Tyrone.

----
I was going to leave this out so it didn't seem like I was advertising my (free, non profit, unprofitable) website. But so you don't use time duplicating what I already have -- What I know about the Carricks starts here: https://myoldohiohome.com/others/srn/b/1/e17c0f0d5a5a1878173a7f96f141ad1b.html

and an article on the postcard is here: https://myoldohiohome.com/elizabeth-boyd-of-edendoit-county-tyrone-and-philadelphia-pennsylvania.html.