Author Topic: Recent death search  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Recent death search
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Okay, is the following correct  ???

Birth certificate -

if born in a hospital or similar institution : Staff record the date of birth

if born elsewhere or at home : DOB recorded as to what the informant says or guesses it was.
What if a birth isn't taken to be recorded? how do we know the child is even the claimed offspring of what the informant says it is?

Death certificate -

Age of death / DOB is recorded as to what the informant 'guesses' it is.

If dies in a hospital or hospice or similar : Staff record the date of death. How do they get the DOB?

If dies elsewhere : the date of death is recorded based on the informants 'guess' or knowledge.

Is all this correct? So much room for inaccuracy  :-[

Sorry, but nothing in life is SO pedantic.  Can I assume that YOU have never made a mistake in your WHOLE life?  Saying goes "he who never made a mistake, never made anything!"  :-* :-*

I know, mistakes are universally inherent, I'm just asking if all that is how it happens?

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it does.  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:41 GMT (UK) »
The system of registration has changed over and over again and again since it started in 1837.

Back then, people didn't have babies in hospital and until 1874 a percentage of births weren't recorded because parents didn't do it. Up till then it was the registars duty to go around his patch collecting information.

Maybe have a read up on previous legislation

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/1-2/20

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Surely doing our family history is recording what is written down as 'true' unless proved otherwise.  We will never know who lied intentionally or otherwise about dates of birth or ages at marriage and death or paternity of childen. 

The enjoyment of family history is trawling records, seeing the comments sometimes added in registers not necessarily about the family you are researching. Also reading about what sort of lives they led etc not worrying about whether a date of birth is a few days out. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi    PaulR

"Are you saying that in regards to every death,     
the info on the certificate is simply what was verbally communicated ('guessed') from the informant?"     

Yes, if you live next door to someone and you felt that you should record the death      ( and eg they had no relatives who you could contact ) . . . . . .     

What if something happens to you, do ALL of your neighbours know your fullname/Dob/even DoD/your ma/pa?

Can they read/write/count?     

Report your neighbours YoB?  "He looks about 80"

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 22:28 GMT (UK) »
The enjoyment of family history is trawling records, seeing the comments sometimes added in registers not necessarily about the family you are researching.

Thanks guys. This forum is very informative. Sorry for coming across like a pedantic noob.

Rosie - is 99 your year of birth? What comments are sometimes added ad in what registers sorry?

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi    PaulR

"Are you saying that in regards to every death,     
the info on the certificate is simply what was verbally communicated ('guessed') from the informant?"     

Yes, if you live next door to someone and you felt that you should record the death      ( and eg they had no relatives who you could contact ) . . . . . .     

What if something happens to you, do ALL of your neighbours know your fullname/Dob/even DoD/your ma/pa?

Can they read/write/count?     

Report your neighbours YoB?  "He looks about 80"

"PaulR"  ???

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 08:31 GMT (UK) »
The enjoyment of family history is trawling records, seeing the comments sometimes added in registers not necessarily about the family you are researching.

Rosie - is 99 your year of birth?

What comments are sometimes added ad in what registers sorry?

No.

I am referring to parish registers.  I have seen instances where clergy have mentioned other parish matters eg Harvesting or someone of note visiting the parish.  They will also post comments about someone who has died or similar.  Family history is not all about dates.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Maybe I should guess at the name and year of birth of a deceased ancestor if I can't confidently find them. Does it matter, Rosie? Lets just fill in the gap in my tree as John Doe (1881-45) - total guesswork but 'does it matter' ? :-*

Yes, that's all you can do if you can't find anything definite.  My trees have lots of approx and between x and y dates, or before x or after y
Those options are included in genealogy software for a good reason.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.