Author Topic: London Scottish Regiment  (Read 98 times)

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Scottish Regiment
« on: Friday 21 December 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather was started out in the Somerset Light Infantry and ended the war in the London Scottish Regiment. I recalled a photo of him (I dont have it now) that showed a black cat badge on his shoulder. After doing some research recently I found the to be the 56th London Regiment, its Dick Whittingtons cat.
I have found that the London Scottish regiment was actually part of this, so the two do tie together. I do still have his full uniform, Kilt, sporran and all!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: London Scottish Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
The 56th was a Division,not a regiment.  A division was made up of brigades, brigades made up of battalions of which London Scottish was one.
A

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, I did mean to type Division. I have printed out the references I have found. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Wikipedia also has some good information. Noting that there were 3 battalions raised during WW2.