Author Topic: Army pensions 1828 question  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army pensions 1828 question
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 December 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I though I put place of birth - Gaudeloupe, West Indies.

I probably know more about his daughter than my own wife now  :o. I can track him in to his second marriage in 1828 and as you say, he is deceased by the 1843 daughter's 1st wedding.
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 December 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Don't now why this topic has fallen by the way. Thought it might have been very interesting to the military experts.

Had to look it up, but probable reason for his move from Guadeloupe to England was Guadeloupe was French, about 1800/01 (slave?) rebellion. Napoleon sent (more) troops and 10,000 rebels were killed. Perhaps he could not return to Spain.

In 1810, the British came (including my gggrandfathers elder brother John, (90th Regiment) and occupied the island until 1815. Then it was given to Sweden!!! for about a year but then returned to France under the Congress of Vienna.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 December 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thx Regorian, I have also been reading up on the history of the island - fascinating politics, history etc.

I am hoping someone will be able to tell me more about First Foot at that time - I found a load of information about the musicians in the regiment and all fits
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 December 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I would have liked to post a pic. of band of the 1st Foot Guards. I know such exist but are in the Queen's library at Windsor Castle, and rarely shown.

I will have a look for a photo of Charles Stadden's 54mm figures once sold by Tradition. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 December 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
This is the best one I can find. Drummer, 1815 Waterloo. He's wearing waterproof cover over his Belgic/Waterloo shako. It rained cats and dogs previous night. Don't know why he's wearing grey winter trousers instead of summer white.

I was looking for the parade uniforms 1801 to 1812 in London. Spectacular uniforms with tall handsome black African musicians with large turbans for the Turkish music, drum major and jingling johnny (schellenbaum).

Queen Victoria dispensed with coloured musicians (almost universal) in the army soon after 1837. Hope they were given pensions.

https://www.wbritain-collectorsclub.co.uk/products/british-1st-foot-guard-battalion-company-drummer-1815-no1/.