Author Topic: George Crow of Kilrea  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Sairin8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Crow of Kilrea
« on: Friday 21 December 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi from New Zealand.

I’m trying to trace my gg grandfather’s parents - or in fact anything about him prior to his arrival in New Zealand (including the ship he arrived on).

George CROW was born about 1857 (based on him being age 40 at death, and age 22 at marriage). He moved to NZ approximately 20 years before he died (possibly around 1877, but certainly before August 1879).
He married Annie GILDER in Invercargill, NZ on 1st August 1879, and his occupation at that time was baker. Annie was born Yorkshire, England, and moved to NZ with her family, so it’s more likely they met in NZ rather than the UK.
He died 14 December 1897 in Mataura, NZ and left no will.

I have the printouts of his marriage and death certificates. Unfortunately he married the year before parents names were included, and his death certificate stated “not known” as his parents. It did state Kilrea, Londonderry as his place of birth.

Any ideas? Surname is sometimes written as CROWE. I did spot a George CROWE convicted on inciting a riot, namely the St Patrick’s Day 1874 riots in Kilrea. I don’t know if this is the same person or not, but my George Crow would have been around 17 at this time.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Crow of Kilrea
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Here's what I can see for the Crow family in Kilrea.I don't know the area so I'm just going on what came up on the search form so it might help  ,fingers crossed.

1831 census Kilrea
George Crow 1 male 2 females in house all Presbyterian
Alexander Crough 5 males 5 females  all Presbyterian.

Catholic Baptisms
Jean d of Henry and Mary Crow nee Donohough  23 Feb 1833 at parish of  Doora and Kilraghtis
Also daughter Mary 6.6.1834.
Michael s of Martin crow and Mary nee Ready 24 Feb 1844 at same parish
Martin 5.12.1829 and John 12 June 1834 also sons of Martin and Mary nee Ready

It looks like your Ancesters would be descended from George Crow on the 1831 census and you have to find records from the Presbyterian Chapel or possibly Church of Ireland .

I searched the NI Wills and no luck

Ciderdrinker

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
birth marriage and death mention of family search

http://www.familysearch.org

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 December 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
It looks like your Ancesters would be descended from George Crow on the 1831 census and you have to find records from the Presbyterian Chapel or possibly Church of Ireland .
There is, as far as I can see, no basis for saying that the George Crow in 1831 census is the ancestor, or otherwise related to, the George Crow who went to N.Z. In addition, Presbyterians have churches organised by Presbyteries not chapels. Both the Church of Ireland and Catholic churches have parishes.

"Kilrea" could refer to the town itself or an area outside it. In the 1831 census only the head of household is listed by name so it can sometimes be difficult to find people even if you know where they were living during that period.

As far as churches in the area there are quite a few possibilities if George wasn't Catholic- and quite a few other churches outside Kilrea itself-
Presbyterian- 1st Kilrea (baptisms start 1825), 2nd Kilrea (baptisms start 1840)
Church of Ireland- Kilrea (baptisms start 1801)

The question really is- what religion was the N.Z. George Crowe? If Catholic then Kilrea records would be found online (free)-  Kilrea (R.C.) Parish registers have baptisms & marriages from 1846- https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0360
If George was Catholic and nothing is found in those records then I suggest checking the adjoining Parish of Rasharkin next (baptisms start 1848).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 December 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Civil registrations- Kilrea under Ballymoney registration district usually.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

This looks to be the 1874 court case-
Coleraine Chronicle, 8 Aug.1874: THE SECOND KILREA CASE. Samuel Mitchell, George Crowe, and Samuel Bolton were then put forward to receive sentence. His Lord said—l have this moment sentenced seven men of your Roman Catholic fellow-countrymen to terms of imprisonment and fines...

Belfast Newsletter, 1 Aug.1874: ASSIZE NEWS. ... Patrick's Day. The prisoners were ordered to stand aside. Samuel Mitchell, George Crowe, and Samuel Bolton were also found guilty of riot, affray, and unlawful assembly at Kilrea on last St. Patrick's Day, and were ordered to stand aside. During the progress ...

Londonderry Sentinel, 6 June 1874: ... opened on Monday, the following Protestants were charged with riot the 17th March last George Bolton, Samuel Mitchell, George Crowe, John Bellingham, and Sampson M’Cabey. Mr. James M’Lean. S.C.B. for county Antrim, prosecuted; and Mr. C. H. Ward (Belfast) ..
06 June 1874 - Londonderry Sentinel

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 December 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Here's what I can see for the Crow family in Kilrea.I don't know the area so I'm just going on what came up on the search form so it might help  ,fingers crossed.
Catholic Baptisms
Jean d of Henry and Mary Crow nee Donohough  23 Feb 1833 at parish of  Doora and Kilraghtis
Also daughter Mary 6.6.1834.
Michael s of Martin crow and Mary nee Ready 24 Feb 1844 at same parish
Martin 5.12.1829 and John 12 June 1834 also sons of Martin and Mary nee Ready
Doora & Kilraghtis R.C. Parish is in County Clare- almost 250 miles from Kilrea.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 December 18 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Silly question as I see his death certifcate did state Kilrea as his place of birth.....

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 December 18 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Just so we can go a bit further back we need to go forward a little.

Are these the children of Annie Gilder Crow and George Crow (from BDM NZ)?
1881/9959   Crow   John Andrew   Annie   George   -   
1883/9357   Crow   Amelia   Annie   George   -   
1884/19082   Crow   Blanche Josephine   Annie   George   -   
1887/13587   Crow   Alice Maud   Annie   George   -   
1890/4486   Crow   Arthur   Annie   George   -   
1891/11919   Crow   Ivy May   Annie   George   -   
1893/698           Crow   Margaret Olive   Annie   George

The Irish did use a naming pattern and so perhaps the father of George may have been John Crow or Andrew Crow or perhaps the name is the fathers of both parents. 

Agree with Aghadowey that we need to know what George's religion was.