Author Topic: Vulcan Foundry  (Read 1510 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Vulcan Foundry
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 December 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerrill

Unfortunately - I have an “inquisitive” mind and when things don’t add up I can’t help asking questions in case somebody is perhaps following the wrong information.     In this case - it’s the middle name of Francis and the birthdates that bother me. 

Also - for him to be your grandfather - he must have fathered either your mother or father yet you say you have only just discovered him.    That makes sense if you were born after his death and both your parents are now deceased.    I was in that same position on my paternal side.

Does his name appear on your mother/fathers birth cert?  If not - has the info been obtained via the DNA you mentioned earlier?

Apart from the 1970 death - nothing else has him as Thomas Francis Mitchell.  1940 marriage and the Irish 1911 you quote both have him as plain Thomas. 

When people lie about their ages they usually manipulate their birthyear but keep the day and month of birth.  In this case - we have a 1939 entry for Thomas Francis Mitchell born 12.6.1888.  That info was recorded the year before he married so I wonder why he would knock 5 yrs off his age at that time?

However - The death in 1970 has 9.4.1883 as his birthdate

How was his actual birthplace of Galway discovered?  Did the historian find his birth cert and if so under what birthdate as his age on the 1911 does not support either 1883 or 1888.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 December 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a PM,  his wed cert says he is 50 and she is 37 but he was 20yrs older  as we know from his birth cert .
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
This is it
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland