Author Topic: Henry Redpath b1819  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Redpath b1819
« on: Saturday 22 December 18 03:19 GMT (UK) »
First things first - Merry Christmas everyone. Hope that you have an enjoyable festive season.
I am trying to find out more about Henry Redpath b1819 Greenwich, Kent. In 1850, he married Grace Warren in England . On 12/5/1872, Grace and children went to Canada arriving at Quebec on 'Medway'.
 Henry, Grace and children are listed on 1881 Canada census in London East, Middlesex East, Ontario. His occupation is listed as sea captain. Now the tricky bit ...Grace died on 3/9/1897 at Stevens Point, Canada. In the newspaper report (Stevens Point Daily Journal 3.9.1897) it mentions that Henry '..who was the captain of an ocean merchant sailer, was lost at sea some twenty-two years ago.'
I am looking for something to confirm Henry's death. I have looked at findmypast for Canada, and their newspaper & periodicals and other free sites. Can anyone suggest where else I might look?
Jackie
rm
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Redpath b1819
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 18 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Stevens Point is in Wisconsin, USA...not in Canada :).  Grace's obituary (that you refer to) is in the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Portage County, Wisconsin. 

As you mentioned, it says she came to Canada in 1872, then to Stevens Point from 1884-1887.  Then, she lived in La Crosse (which is also in Wisconsin) until 1889.  Then, she moved to St. Paul and then back to Stevens Point in 1895.  Her children are also mentioned...Mrs C H Simpson of Stevens Point, H.A. Redpath of La Crosse, Mrs Henry Freeman of St. Thomas County, Ontario... and the late Henry Redpath, who died in St. Paul.   Also a reference to a deceased daughter (not named).   Interment Oakland Cemetery.

Findagrave  - in Wisconsin
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/164208250

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 18 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Here is the record you found of the family in London, Ontario in 1881 - with Henry listed as age 62, and a sea captain.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008199629.jpg

RK

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 December 18 05:15 GMT (UK) »
1897 - 22 = 1875
Obviously the 22 yrs is an exaggeration if he was alive in 1881.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 December 18 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying where the family actually were. I had thought that they had just moved around Canada.
I would still like to find some confirmation on Henry's death
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 December 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Grace Redpath is in the London Ontario directory of 1884 as the widow of Henry Redpath.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 December 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your input. That would narrow the time frame down ie before 1884.
I will keep looking.
Jackie

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 December 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
The Mercantile Navy Lists from 1849, its first year of publication, until at least 1868, when the format changed. Mentions a HENRY REDPATH born 1819. I don't know if it is your man, but suspect it is. He received his 2nd class Captains certificate on 15/10/1847 Certificate number 15489, in London UK.
In 1849  until 1853 at least, he was Master of the London registered vessel EDMUNDSBURY. 523 tons, official number 24976. Making voyages to Calcutta and Manilla, amongst other places.
His certificate number was changed in this period to number 439. He is not recorded in the on line 1881 Crew Agreements or the Newfoundland and Labrador Agreements. My Guess is he had retired by then or died in the same year.
I would first of all search the Deaths at Sea registers from FindMyPast UK and take a look for copies of his Masters Certificate which may be on Ancestry. Failing these, Lloyd's Captains Register which is now held by London Metropolitan Archives. They have an excellent research service. This should tell you, his entire maritime career and when he was last at sea or if he was lost at sea. The place and date.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 December 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you seaweed for the mention of his time in the merchant navy. I did find something in 1845 and 1847 (which might be the one you mentioned) but put it to one side whilst looking for Henry's death.
I thought that there would be a mention in the press but shall look to the sites you listed.
Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Jackie